Options

What jobs deal just with hardware, specifically desktops/laptops?

phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently studying for A+ and PDI+, and then plan to go for MCTS, Win7Config. I've always been good with building/upgrading/troubleshooting PCs as a self-taught hobbyist and have decided at 31 years old that I need to take it to the next level. I have an associates in general studies that consisted mostly of IT and business classes but never resulted in any actual IT degree or certs while in school, so I'm trying to remedy that now. My question here is what jobs are out there for someone who just wants to work with hardware? I have no interest in networking, security, or developing. My passion is in cracking the case open and leaving the system better than it was when I got there. At one time I had a dream of building high end systems for audio recording purposes but got sidetracked by life and during that time technology advances and price drops sort of made that dream obsolete. Now anyone with a fairly modern pc, 24/96 soundcard, and a basic knowledge of mixing audio can record a studio quality album in their bedroom. So where could I go for employment that would allow me to focus on just hardware without being burdened by a bunch of networking and whatnot, or am I looking for a position that doesn't exist?

Comments

• Options
    Raywire86Raywire86 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get your certs (A+, N+, PDI, Server+) then look for field technician jobs with vendors such as Dell, HP, Cannon etc. they usually utilize third party repair companies to represent them and you can usually get jobs with them via temp agencies. You'll be working all day in fancy computer guts.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I honestly wouldn't recommend this field, it's dying and the pay and advancement potential just isn't there. You really can't go much further down that track other than being a field engineer for a company.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get an occasional email from a recruiter for a field tech and the pay is terribly low. The amount of mileage required was also pretty high.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are definitely better career moves. Frankly, I consider touching server hardware something for juniors engineers/admins (who primarily work with software and networking) and vendor techs. Touching desktop hardware is for entry-level techs and Geek Squad and its ilk (and again, these people do more OS work than hardware). You're not going to get anywhere good just working on hardware. Even finding work to do on the side is going to be more basic OS work than it is hardware. I mean, seriously, how much depth is there to computer hardware? I don't really know anything more about it or do it any better than I did at 15, other than what technologies have changed.

Honestly, you'd probably be better of becoming a mechanic or something. There just isn't a big need for computer hardware people. There's a need for people who know computer hardware and other stuff, but very few jobs are mostly hardware, and even those require other knowledge.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    Like ptilsen said, you would be better off in another career field if you want to focus more on hardware. I discovered this years ago when I first entered the IT Field. My first job was a driving technician and it had wayyy low pay, put a lot of mileage on my car and the days were long. Applying for better positions was difficult too because recruiters where looking for mostly software and networking skills. Luckily I found an opportunity that allowed me to learn some applications and I never looked back.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Break Fix repair tech would get you in this world. A+ would be really the only certification you would need, however server + is sometimes required to order hardware parts from certain vendors. The PDI wouldn't be bad either, but CompTIA's add up in a hurry.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    IBM has been hiring on site techs the last few months. Might want to hit up their site and see what they are all about. I cannot remember what they are called; the name is not as obvious as it should be. From talking to a few of those guys, you can expect long hours with sub-par pay. But if you enjoy the work, then sometimes pay isn't as important at the experience I suppose. Just keep in mind that they are Server side, not Client side.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pert wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't recommend this field, it's dying and the pay and advancement potential just isn't there. You really can't go much further down that track other than being a field engineer for a company.

I'm with this guy. The only other jobs I can see being a hardware guy is as a computer repair tech at a shop or big box store. If you want to still work with hardware and even have opportunity for advancement you can go do desktop support. I'm a sysadmin but I end up getting dirty with desktop and laptop hardware sometimes and I quite enjoy that.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    I'm with this guy. The only other jobs I can see being a hardware guy is as a computer repair tech at a shop or big box store. If you want to still work with hardware and even have opportunity for advancement you can go do desktop support. I'm a sysadmin but I end up getting dirty with desktop and laptop hardware sometimes and I quite enjoy that.

I agree, maybe more so trying to get down the line as a Desktop Admin/Support- Sometimes you still need to get hands dirty with repairs, upgrades, swap outs, and still have ability to progress down the line to system admin/engineer