Options

DBA from 0

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
My wife has been expressing an interest in learning and starting a career working with databases. She seems to have the excitement that I have with networking about them, but has little-to-no experience using them. She's used access quite a bit (and has taken a class with it, I think), but I've never considered access to be a "real" database app.

Since my knowledge of databases is little more than hers, I've come here to get the advice/suggestions of people who have that knowlege. I think right now, there are 3 pieces of information that would help get her started.

1) Would she benefit from learning 'regular' windows server material first (I'm referring to the MCITP:SA/EA material), or would it be better to jump into the 461/462/463 materials? (refer to question 2 if the latter)

2) Most of the material she's found seems to be written from the viewpoint of someone who is already working with RDBMs and is comfortable, or at least understands the terminology. Do you have any suggestions for something that covers the fundamentals in an easy-to-understand manner? I remember starting on networking and the first couple steps are always the hardest. Once you get those down, you get some momentum with your learning and sometimes it takes on a life of its own even.

3) I would assume the career path towards DBA would be similar to a security professional in that you don't start as a DBA (who's going to give some wet-behind-the-ears person access to their databases?) So if anyone can give a generic type of job progression I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone who reads this and offers any insight.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    1. Maybe learning some basics would help. Off the top of my head I would instantly say AD understanding user rights and permissions wish will also come into play with SQL.

2. Well you could use the official Windows SQL book for the "fundamentals". I've only been on SQL for a little over a year and a half and I used that, but I found it very bored so I'm now using this a better read for me.

3. For this I was just given a chance and learn on the job starting from very minor admin tasks. So I couldn't really help you on this

If you want any more help I'll try to answer to the best of my ability
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    Thanks knownhero. I was going to get her this book

Beginning SQL: Joes 2 Pros

as it has pretty good reviews, but she'll work on the window server material first.

• Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I've seen in other forums and posts on this forum that mention that book. To be honest it would be personal preference on what you actually end up using.

I might get the book for administration and see what it's like but I'm only half way through my current one and feeling the burn on reading :D
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly the best move IMO is to land a job as an analyst and work your way up. I am an analyst and I learn a lot about databases and other elements of data environments working with developers and DBA's all day long.
  • Options
    barrin6barrin6 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Honestly the best move IMO is to land a job as an analyst and work your way up. I am an analyst and I learn a lot about databases and other elements of data environments working with developers and DBA's all day long.

Would you mind posting some examples of what a an analyst job posting would look like? I'm curious to see what the job description would look like.

thanks
  • Options
    I recommend going to indeed and searching on keywords such as data analyst or database and see what you can come up with. I found companies that manage a lot of data creating such roles. I work for a data company and we have two positions one I occupy that allows us to write a lot of SQL and VBA. This has given me the ability to learn SQL at least at a beginner level. I've been told time and time again by senior DBA's and architects that knowing how to write SQL is paramount to being a good DBA. Now that I am directly in the mix it's a no brainer. Without knowing the coding aspect you would seriously be ineffective. A lot of what you'll be asked to do is figure out why there are anomolies in the data and how to fix it. This comes with coding SQL and understanding the companies data and database.

HTH
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The first thing I would suggest is find what her most appropriate entry point would be. It's possible that as N2IT pointed out she might find something as a business analyst since that is kind of an abstract title that can mean lots of things. That being said, she must also take action to turn herself into a data professional. You cannot do that just by reading a book. Beware the Dunning-Kruger Effect...

I'm going to write this as if I were advising her directly.

1. Look at the job posting in your area and get an idea of the skills that are in current demand and start learning there. But be careful because a lot of these postings will be fore roles that are out of your league. So you need to stick to the fundamentals that are behind the posting. If the posts are asking for a lot of SQL Server query tuning, you need to start with the fundamentals of administration and datamodeling, then querying, and then move on to tuning.

2. Get involved in some sort of project. Some one, somewhere could use your help in a project. Get involved and contribute. Likewise find local user groups and make sure you go to the meetings and ask questions. Make sure people see your face and recognize you as someone who is interested and passionate about the field. Make sure you know that right now this is a one way street. The people you meet are going to be able to help you far more than you could help them. So I am not suggesting you go an let the world know you are looking to change careers. Talk to people and be curious about what they are doing, their projects (professional and things on the side). Go the the Database StackExchange and read/write questions. Use your real name. Get some basic certifications. Gain knowledge in any way you can.

3. Write a good resume for yourself. Follow these tips to help you write a resume that will get you attention:
    Write a Killer Technical Resume in Five Steps | Brent Ozar Unlimited

Use the connections you have made with people at the user groups to help you out. You clearly cannot just jump into this. You'll have to make some friends and build a few relationships in step 2 above.

bermovik - Stop now. Your job is done. Get out of the way. It is only likely that anything you do in this step will hinder your wife's progress. Encourage her but realize that you in fact do not know enough about this field to assist her. Seriously.

4. Apply for jr. level jobs. Even if you do not meet the requirements completely, put in your resume. Start reading the interview preparation questions. Make sure you know your stuff. Don't be afraid to ask people whom you have formed relationships with common mistakes to avoid during interviews.

5. Don't be satisfied with being OK. Be awesome.
  • Options
    Dig the post. I agree don't over sell yourself or you'll be hurting. Database design and administration takes years of practice to become truly a pro. I've witnessed a couple of situations like this where the employee ended up getting let go demoted to a lower level role. Eventually the employees move on one way or another. Don't sell yourself short if you know a skill capture it, but don't go over the top. That's my advice to anyone looking to move up in this field.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll just direct her to the thread to read herself.

I try to take a "tell me what you want and we'll get the tools to make it happen" role, but input from people who aren't stumbling around blindly is always good.

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know exactly the position you are in. Mine is considering a jump to Information Architecture/User Experience. But I'm lucky in that I'm interested in that as well so I get to read her books once she's done. But then that just kind of takes me away from what I should really be doing...
  • Options
    Robert I understand your situation. I've FINALLY locked into VBA and have been gaining a lot of traction. It only took 5 years. Back to the OP I wish you and your wife the best. It can happen! :)