Options

How to setup a lab that matches course material for 6421b 70-642, etc

MrBigglesworthMrBigglesworth Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am taking courses at college for a BS in Network Management and some certs to go with it. Currently Im in class for 6421b
Configuring and Troubleshooting a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure in order to study for 70-642.

The school has computers setup that have Win2008. HyperV is setup so when you launch it you see 6-8 images for NYC-DC1, NYC-EDGE1, NYC-CL1 etc.

What I want to do for my home system is configure a computer in the same manner, but dont know the best way to proceed. I want to be able to read a chapter, and open the lab and when it says switch to this or that, be able to login and do the actions as requested. My question is how is the best way to proceed. I have a copy of Win2008 Server R2 from Dreamspark. I can either install this natively on my MBP or run in VMWare. How would be the way to configure it to mirror what the lab in that book is referencing? IP addressing and the like are issues, as well as one of the labs yesterday said to boot into something called NYC-CL1 to run a packet analyzer from MS that was already available as a shortcut on the Desktop.

Appreciate any help that can be provided. This isnt for the current class but really more for self study down the road.

Comments

• Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    I used VMware, and if you read the first couple pages of each chapter it will tell you what you need to have setup. IE ( Need two server 2008 installs, named BostonDC, and NewYorkFS.) Each of the labs at the end of the chapters build on the next one. So the first would probably just tell you to have two server 08 installs ready, then Lab 1 will have you install AD/DNS and subsequent chapters will build off that. As far as everything having the same IP as in the book, that is dependent on your VMware network settings. Make sure you turn DHCP off etc if you are doing custom networks. There's a thread on here somewhere about setting up VMware for labs. Honestly it doesn't matter as long as you keep track of what you assign to each device and such.