Options

Getting into IT with a speech impediment...

Dabull25Dabull25 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to get into IT field but also have a speech impediment. I have a moderate/severe stutter. I am getting speech therapy to lessen the severity of it but that takes some time. I notice that mostly all people starting out have to get a job at a help desk/call center. I feel like taking phone calls all day would be pretty tough on me and I probably wouldnt be the best person to handle that type of job. I am going for a masters in the fall for cyber security and am looking to get certificates in the mean time to try and get a job in the field to gain some experience. Does anyone have any suggestions for what line of IT work would possibly best be suited for me and what certificates I should go after. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've stated before I never worked at a helpdesk. I followed a formula I've seen many do--CS/EE + CCNA. If you're looking for a job with minimal interaction with people, I'd consider programming. You can work on a project for months with nothing more than a 15-minute weekly status report, beside whatever banter you decide to have with colleagues at the water cooler.

Programming can be mixed with security! Someone had to design and build them firewalls. ;)
  • Options
    what is CS/EE?
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    Computer Science / Electrical Engineering I believe, and I have a small impediment and just push through it doing support. Most users are good people so it's no issue.
  • Options
    Dabull25 wrote: »
    what is CS/EE?
    CS = Computer Science & EE = Electrical Engineering. They're the most-demanded degrees in networking. EE focuses on hardware solutions. CS focuses on software solutions. CS is also the degree of choice if you want to become a programmer.
  • Options
    Computer Science seems to be highly based in math, which is definitely not a strength of mine...
  • Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been there. You need to stop thinking about your stammering issues and just speak with out being nervous or worried about your stammer. You need to start communicating with people to get over it the more you do it the more natural the words will flow.

I am looking to get into IT field but also have a speech impediment. I have a moderate/severe stutter. I am getting speech therapy to lessen the severity of it but that takes some time. I notice that mostly all people starting out have to get a job at a help desk/call center. I feel like taking phone calls all day would be pretty tough on me and I probably wouldnt be the best person to handle that type of job. I am going for a masters in the fall for cyber security and am looking to get certificates in the mean time to try and get a job in the field to gain some experience. Does anyone have any suggestions for what line of IT work would possibly best be suited for me and what certificates I should go after. Any advice is appreciated!
  • Options
    Computer Science seems to be highly based in math, which is definitely not a strength of mine...
    Definitely! Algebra came in handy when learning about secure protocol design and cryptography. We all have weaknesses. Some of them are essential. The rest, it's up to us to what degree we allow them to define our fates. One of my weaknesses is procrastinating by responding to threads. :p Three good hours left in the night. Back to CCIE studies for me! Best of luck to you. :)
  • Options
    survivor030406survivor030406 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw a video the other day on the solarwinds site.
    The founder was giving a presentation and he had a speech impediment.
    I think once you get going with the job, you just won't worry about it.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT sort of used to be like the land of misfit toys. I think in some places that mystic still exists so you may be pleasantly surprised that your speech impediment may not really be considered an issue. I have moderate Tourette Syndrome and it generally has not posed to be a problem.
  • Options
    zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was in elementary school I had a speech impairment and which I would stutter and not be able to make certain words come out when I spoke. For me the key was to teach myself to relax and talk slowly. Sometimes I have a habit to say a million things but when you take it slow it will get better.
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I have a stuttering issues as well... it was really bad when I was younger. every other word was a stutter, and half the words I was literally unable to actually say. To this day, the stuttering issue lingers but I've found a few ways to work around it. For example, if I'm stuck on a word, I'll rephrase it and I end up saying it with little to no problem. Doesn't always work but it's better than sitting there struggling to say what I have to say.

It feels incredible that I'm saying this because of my own problem, but you'll be able to get through it. Keep up the speech therapy and find your own ways to work around it. You'll do fine!!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback...now to find which field I want to get into!