Options

Resume Critique for Desktop Support / Help Desk position

bgaudybgaudy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have been a long time lurker of TE.. But I'l tell you a bit about my situation.
Got a job as a general inbound tech support in a call center last November. Was enough to get my "feet wet" i suppose. I was asked by my supervisor if I wanted to sit on the in-house Help Desk in April, Which I gladly accepted.

It has been going great, but theres a catch.. They are outsourcing our 4 person Help Desk, bundled with 3 of the easier call center roles to a vendor 45 minutes away from where I was working. Thus, I am back looking to poke around in the job market before that time comes, because truthfully I find this type of work much more enjoyable than general call center stuff. (though it was a very interesting experience.

I am posting my resumé on here to hopefully get some advice and constructive criticism, as I am not the greatest writer... Nor salesman,for that matter.

Any questions you may have that could "help you help me" would be wonderful.

Thank you TE! icon_cheers.gif

Resume: techexams_resume.doc

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like how you listed metrics and accomplishments. This is the type of tone that gets the attention of the resume reviewer. For example - this is good "- Maintain a 95% or higher case creation ratio (at times higher than 100%)". My only comment is that you should make sure that the reader understands if that's considered good or not. For me, because I am not familiar with that segment of IT, I do not know what "case creation ratio" means or if 95% is considered an industry norm or if it's good or bad.

This is a nice accomplishment - "Only person in my group who exceeded expectations/goals set by management". But I would state it more like - "Recognized by management as the highest achieving member of the department by exceeding all management metrics.".

I'm not a big fan of using first-person references in resumes - "In this line of work I have learned to ask the right questions when it comes to troubleshooting." What about? "Problem solver with tenacious attention to detail who can elicit the necessary information from end-users to diagnose complex technical issues."

Is there an education or certification section that you can add? If not what about adding something like "References available" - make sure you have references lined up.
  • Options
    After mentioning the part about 1st person, and reading over it i agree.. I'm going to try to tweak around that part.

As for eduation and certs, I dont have any certs yet.. and I have my GED. I suppose I should list this, oops icon_redface.gif

Thanks paul!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hmmm... you may just want to not list anything then. Perhaps other people on the forum may have suggestions about that. But if you don't have anything past a GED, perhaps it's best to leave it off.

Are you planning to get a degree or any certifications? That could help round out your resume when you are early in your career.
  • Options
    yes I do plan on getting certs, and BS from WGU in about 2 years..
    that is why I left it off initially as I thought it might look better on paper to highlight my skills and explain my situation in an interview, if it was a problem.