Options

Do certain IT jobs offer on the job training?

vsanchez104vsanchez104 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
As title states, do they?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As title states, do they?

Sure, many jobs have a training period for learning crucial skills. In fact, I'd say it's the norm! You bring your education, certifications, and experience to the table. We train you or allow you time to train for any job-specific skills you need.

I'd add many companies also offer periodic or on-demand training when they need you to learn new skills. For example, when a new HR application is deployed, and they need nearly everyone in the company to quickly get up-to-speed.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Yup!

The last company I was at and this one I am leaving both offer on the job training.

Others will pay for classes or boot camps for you
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Some companies will just pay for exams for you.

One company I worked for wanted me to "tie in" with them if they paid for any more though, so I paid for them myself then left within 6 months anyway :)
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Some do, Most won't unless it's really something they need and the only way to get training/certified is through particular instruction courses. There's a few fringe areas of technical certification that can only be obtained by completing vendor training and not exams taken at test centers, so stuff like that occasionally gets paid for by companies, but most of the stuff you run into in IT won't be like that.
  • Options
    bgaudybgaudy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would be a good thing to ask in interview.. Some certainly do (my first IT job offered 2 weeks of training [paid])
    But in reality, if it is just a general support role with no special in-house programs that you are supporting, you can get by just by asking your co-workers questions and paying attention.
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks for the replies! I think it's time for a change of scenery for me though, I live in a fairly weak IT spot. That and I haven't quite been able to afford to pay for certs.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That and I haven't quite been able to afford to pay for certs.
    Get a loan if you need to. There are plenty of Credit Cards and Payday Advance businesses out there. Normally, those are a horrible investment--you may find yourself paying $325 for that $250. In this case however, it's a great investment, because your market value and income will increase rather quickly by thousands of dollars per year.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I agree with NetVet. While I wouldn't suggest Payday Advances due to the hole you can get in with those, I would suggest credit cards or some extra budgeting or even a second part-time job. When I was starting out a little over 5 years ago, I was making $12/hr and couldn't afford much on the side. I ended up supplementing my income by getting a guard card and working as a security guard on the weekends. I would literally spend my entire shift at my guard post studying for a certification and then using my paycheck to pay for it. Depending on the post or position, you can get enough time to study for a certification and the money to pay for it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Cora5Cora5 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked for a pharmaceutical company, change was constant there. They had the latest and greatest in technology so we were always trained on something and the IT budget allowed for any additional training needed or desired as long as it was within reason. As well as tuition reimbursement. I interviewed with a company earlier this year that didn't have a training budget for their IT employees but did have CBT training for CISSP and was told by the manager that he invests in his GOOD people. He made it plain that he wouldn't bother to train his poor performing employees. That was a red flag for me. This company is also on old technology. I need a job but I'm not desperate at the moment. It is best to ask in an interview.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems like lower tier positions are less likely to offer paid training from what I have seen in the past.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have seen a few articles about IT employees wishing training was provided and would consider it a job perk almost equal to a pay increase. I think some people view training as a perk to move up and out but for many people they view training as an opportunity to learn something without having to give up personal life if there are not enough hours at work to self train. I can self train but often wish I had training from somebody that knows a product so I can ask all the dumb questions I might have to make sure I truly understand.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's not the job, but who you work for. Some companies encourage education/certs more than others. If you work for a professional service provider, most will pay for training, study material & exam cost. Some offer bonuses.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    I've been looking for something that offers training but no luck. I hear that Denver is an IT hotspot, is that true? If it is I might take my chances and move out there to start up.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    If training is your only obstacle, why move just to find a job that trains you? It'll cost more money to actually relocate than it will to pay for certifications. Student loans either privately or through the government are available for school or you could go to WGU to knock out certifications and your degree at the same time. If you don't want to go to college, you can always pick up a part time job for your exam funds and self-study with a book or the massive about of online free or cheap resources. Trainsignal lets you have access to all their training videos for $50/month and you'll usually end up spending less than $50 per book for a certification you are going for.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sure, many jobs have a training period for learning crucial skills. In fact, I'd say it's the norm! You bring your education, certifications, and experience to the table. We train you or allow you time to train for any job-specific skills you need.

I'd add many companies also offer periodic or on-demand training when they need you to learn new skills. For example, when a new HR application is deployed, and they need nearly everyone in the company to quickly get up-to-speed.

I wish I saw more than that, but sadly that's not the case, at least with technical recruiters. They don't seem to dig down deep into your resume and really find out what you know.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)