Options

MS Information Security - Limiting Opportunities?

Ok, so I haven't heard much discussion about this. Masters degrees in Information Security are becoming more popular, but considering they aren't called masters in Information Technology, do they limit your choice of careers to security related ones? Suppose you have a masters in Information Security, but want to work in database administration or software engineering. Is is still possible? Would an employer prefer to hire someone who studies information technology or computer science instead? Are there any skills from the InfoSec degree that would transfer?

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Well, from my standpoint, there are all sorts of data breaches that occur. You would think the more "security-minded" person would be aware of different techniques to mitigate risks in this area.

Of course, in general, if I needed a software engineer, I want someone who knows how to design software. If I need a database administrator, I want someone who knows how to manage databases.

An information security degree won't prove much of either, unless it is an information security emphasis to an information systems/computer science program, which would cover topics like databases and software design.

The information security degree might "brand" you. Either you're branded as being a hacker, or you may be branded as difficult to deal with. (This, without opening your mouth, as people carry a hidden assumption that security types care waaaaay more about confidentiality and integrity than availability.)

A "true" security type realizes that there must be a careful balance taken between all three, based upon sound risk management.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your bachelors is in database administration or software engineering then getting the Master in IS could hurt or help you.

If they are looking for an expert in those fields the employers may want the Masters to be in those fields also. If you have a bachelors in those fields and relevant experience and the employer is looking for someone that is a security background it could help.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Cora5Cora5 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is one of those depends on who you ask question... I know personally several upper level IT Managers that do not have an IT degree or certifications. One manger who is very well versed in various areas of IT not just his specialty. I know people in IT that have degrees in other fields that work in IT and are successful professionals. I have worked with several IT professionals that changed careers and moved into other fields. I believe different employers have different requirements. Build up your experience in the area of your choice, get certs and additional training. Do you have to go back to school to get another degree to be a database administrator? I my opinion, and its just that an opinion NO.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Suppose you have a masters in Information Security, but want to work in database administration or software engineering. Is is still possible?
    Yes, since it's possible to obtain such jobs without a degree.
    Would an employer prefer to hire someone who studies information technology or computer science instead?
    Of course!

It you like security but want to hedge your bets, consider a broad degree like Computer Science, with a focus on security. You'd have a leg-up in security, but also strong options if you later chose to shift to programming or networking.

Another option of many to consider. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine is officially Masters of Science (MS) in Technology. Before I finished the program, it was Masters of Liberal Studies (MLS) in Technology and went through a rename. Just the in the name change it makes a big difference. My "minor" if you want to call it that is InfoSec and IA. My actual degree in print does not mention a speciality.

I don't think you want to do a whole program on just one subject, as not to pigeonhole you as a one-type of person. We learned a heck of a lot more about people, society, technilogical gains (or losses, depends on viewpoint) before we hit the tech-heavy end. In the end, I'm much more aware and infomed on what technology does or doesn't do for people vs. what the latest wiz-bang solution is. I can use that info for life, regardless where I end up in my career path. Who knows if some of these subjects will still be around in 10-20 years, but a GOOD program will make you question more things in this world when you're done and provide methods you can adapt to whatever way you want to fully apply that degree.

Yes - some degrees are cut and dry or mandatory for some select roles. My interest was technology...and what better way to learn about it than how it shaped today. With InfoSec, in my eyes, you're judged more on character and overall experiences brought to the table, not just one area.