Options

Still confused about the best way to get into IT?

Dabull25Dabull25 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am 30 years old and l already have a B.S. in Interdisciplinary studies-animal behavior track. I have no experience in IT. I am still unsure of the best path to get into IT. I live in Baltimore, MD and I think there is a pretty good market for IT here. I am intrigued by Cybersecurity and signed up for the masters program at UMUC which starts in the fall. Am I going down the correct path? Id like to gain some experience by landing a job in the IT field while I am in school since my current job(which I hate) has nothing to do with IT. Ive read that getting a masters in this with no experience isnt a good idea, then I have also read that I should go for it and try to pick up a job in IT and get a few certs...Im confused. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    shart1971shart1971 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same here. I am 41, worked as a forklift operator for years and got laid off a few years ago. Now I work as a security officer. I am currently enrolled in a AAS degree in Computer Information Systems. I have obtained my CompTIA A+, Network+ and currently studying for my Security+ certification. I just started looking to get into the IT field.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Only advice that I can give is that get the certs for the career you want and make sure you understand the material. So if you want to go into cisco and get your CCNA then understand the CCNA. Don't have to know it all. Then you get your resume out there, even if in school, and just give someone a reason to get your foot in the door and give you a chance. All it takes is that one person to give you a chance.

Getting your foot in the door is the hard part. Get the experience you need from that place and it will become easier from there.

I didn't start in IT at my first professional job until I was about 26 years old. I got lucky enough I found a job on Craigslist that I went to interview at and I didn't even own a button up shirt because I couldn't afford nice clothes. So I went in the nicest polo and khackis I had with business shoes and just showed that I am looking to get my foot in the door and I just want to grow and they gave me my shot.

So get the certs, then give them a reason.
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get your certs brah, start with A+, than Net+, and then even Security+. Having those certs will definitely get you some interviews even with out IT experience.