Options

How is this for a masters degree in IT?

darkmdarkm Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently going back to school and had in mind this combo

Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences

masters in IT, specialization in systems admin

in my spare time I would get some certs like the A+, MCSE..

my background is not IT it's criminal justice, and I know I only need certifications + experience but i'm fortunate i can go to school for it, and i enjoy it

would database or application development specialization be more viable to get a job straight out of college?

thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Options
    no feedback at all? is the program at least up to standards at least?
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    seriously? Your mad because no one has responded to your initial post within 1 hour and 16 minutes?
  • Options
    patience is not one of my virtues, wish it was but no

but this is a big decision for me, id like unbiased feedback
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How much is the total cost of tuition?

What type of accreditation does this school have?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    If you are in the South Florida area (assuming you are based on your school selection) I would check out FIU's MSIT program. It is probably cheaper and you have a wider range of courses to choose from.

MSIT - School of Computing and Information Sciences @ FIU

Or there is the ever popular online option:

Online IT Master
  • Options
    ^ thank you for the feedback, but for personal/financial reasons I have to go with nova

this is a new IT program i can get in to, their computer programming I cannot because I dont have a bs in computer programming and dont qualify

I would like to know if with this masters in IT/sysadmin and some certs I would have the education at least to find a entry level job in south florida (or I can travel whatever works)
  • Options
    anymore feedback?

the school is a private school, one of the biggest in the us, accredited and all that
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Truthfully, the best way to make these kinds of decisions is to create a set of evaluation criteria and evaluate all schools against it.

For example, your criteria might be something like this:
    Offers a MS program in INFOSEC
    INFOSEC program offers a hybrid on-site/online option
    School has a reasonable amount of prestige
    Program is reasonably priced
    There are many interesting electives to choose from
    Program doesn't require GRE/GMAT

Once you've established your criteria, start your search for schools that meet your criteria. The stickied list of BM Schools offering an online option is a good resource.

You've already mentioned that for whatever reasons, Nova is your choice - so anything anyone here says is probably going to be of little consequence.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    darkm wrote: »
    ^ thank you for the feedback, but for personal/financial reasons I have to go with nova

this is a new IT program i can get in to, their computer programming I cannot because I dont have a bs in computer programming and dont qualify

I would like to know if with this masters in IT/sysadmin and some certs I would have the education at least to find a entry level job in south florida (or I can travel whatever works)

I don't know if your idea of "entry level" is helpdesk or not but most people do that with an A+. A masters degree and a bunch of certs for an entry level position? Yeah, I'd say that covers it.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It'd be most effective to try to get to work right now.

Once you complete your schooling, you could branch out from there.

What you can do helps you to get/keep the job, while having credentials only helps you to get the interview.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)