Options

DCHP/DNS server

bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
When setting up a DHCP server, specifically I guess if it matters any on a Cisco router, what is the purpose of configuring a DNS server ip?

Comments

• Options
    silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    The DHCP server will do a few things beyond assign IP's, it can also give hosts default gateways, DNS server IP's, domain names and a bunch of other stuff. By giving the DHCP server a DNS server address, it will provide this information to any host that requests it.
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA
  • Options
    Ok, that makes sense. I had just read that but after reading through the configuration I lost track of the other things that it does. I was thinking maybe DHCP used the DNS server for something else. But it just uses the IP to the DNS, there's no real interaction between DNS and DHCP right?
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Correct. It tells the client where it's DNS server is.

Essentially, if you statically assign an IP in Windows, you get 5 boxes - the bottom two are the DNS server IP's. What you set on the DHCP server tells the client what to put in those boxes.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I understand, you can configure a cisco router to act as a dns server. However, it might be a CCNP related topic, because I've never read anything about it in any CCNA material.
  • Options
    pamccabe wrote: »
    From what I understand, you can configure a cisco router to act as a dns server. However, it might be a CCNP related topic, because I've never read anything about it in any CCNA material.

It's on the CCENT now.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Example of configuring a router to function as a DNS server:

http://www.sgtccie.com/images/DNS_server.png (contains a screenshot of the config, as well as an example)

Topology is: R2
    R3
    R10

R3 is the DNS server, and the example shows R2 resolving R10 via R3.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if there's more that I don't know about, but my understanding is that DNS on a Cisco Router is very limited (no PTR, CNAME, DNAME, etc..., just A, MX, and SRV records) in what types of records you can create and I didn't see any way to create zones. I assume you just give the FQDN for each record. I'd just stick with BIND9 on a Linux box or VM.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have never implemented DNS in a production environment on a router, and frankly don't see a reason to- just wanted to show it in action.
  • Options
    bbarrick wrote: »
    It's on the CCENT now.

Oops, I should clarify DHCP configuration on a router is on the CCENT, not DNS.