Options

Obtaining IOS Images

JoeBirdsJoeBirds Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys and gals,

I recently bought an 1841 for my CCNP studying but discovered that it's still using version 12.3, and Cisco recommends 12.4T. Is being a Cisco partner the only way to download an IOS from their site? Or is there any other way to get an IOS image? Also, would the following IOS image be fine for CCNP studying?

c1841-ipbase-mz.124-15.T9.bin

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For routers [and apparently the 3560 EMI Image] you need a SmartNet contract for that specific device to obtain IOS from Cisco. For Switches, except the 3560 EMI (strangely, it let me download the EMI Image for the 3550 no problem, but when I tried to DL the EMI image for the 3560 it said I needed a SmartNet contract), you can simply download them from Cisco (no SmartNet needed). That said, should a copy fall off a Russian Server onto your TFTP Server....

The image you listed is fine for the old (ends September 30) CCNA. Personally, I would go with either:

c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.151-3.T3.bin
    c1841-adventerprisek9-mz.151-3.T3.bin

Both require 256 MB of DRAM and 64 MB of Flash. I you don't have enough, upgrade - DRAM and Flash (for ISRs) are cheap - since these images will give you IOS 15 with everything you could possibly need. The only thing lacking from Advanced IP Services is the outdated protocols from IBM, Novell, etc...that almost noone (even Novell has been using TCP/IP since NetWare 5 - 13+ years ago) use anymore.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]