Options

Question about extending my wifi coverage.

kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking to get my wifi from my house to my garage, ~350 feet.
I have LoS from an upstairs window to a mount point on the garage.
I would ideally like to have wifi in the garage and the option for hardwired access.
Speed isn't super important, I'd like to be able to stream music as well as general web browsing, and linking to a DB on my server in the house.

I am thinking of going with this on the garage, Amped Wireless AD14EX High Power 14dBi Outdoor Directional WiFi Antenna Kit ran down to a wireless N router with DDWRT set as bridge/repeater mode.

In the house have a standard N router on a shelf directly in front of the window and tied in to my normal home network.

I'd have everything running in 2.4ghz mode for better range.

Overkill is fine, mainly hoping to stay under $500. I'd rather it look decent and last awhile then be messing with it non stop.

~Misc note, I have some old wrt54g routers laying around with the 5.5 dbi dual antennas already on, I haven't tested this though to see if it would be sufficient.

Questions are:
Would this be sufficient for good signal strength/reliability or should I have an external directional antenna on the house as well?

Anyone have any other suggestions that would be more efficient/reliable/cheaper?

Comments