Options

I have a bachelors but...

cgoetz86cgoetz86 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a bachelors but it s not computer related. Im considering getting my CCNA and the obtaining an entry level job in computer networking. If I get the certification will that make up for the fact that I have a non computer related degree, or should consider obtaining a computer related masters?

Comments

• Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A CCNA is much more obtainable in terms of costs and time. If you have the skills, I would say that it doesn't matter as much what your degree is in, as long as you have one (especially for entry level).

Down the road if you want to stay in IT, then I would definitely go for an MS degree in IT.
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Proof that you don't need a compsci or EE degree to get into Cisco: look at the any CiscoPress book and you will see that most authors that wound up taking the Cisco route started off with non-related degrees.
  • Options
    silverp1silverp1 Member Posts: 124
    From my experience people generally don't care what your degree is in - I have a business degree personally. Another fellow at work has an English degree, one of our network admins has an archaeology degree (dinosaurs to Cisco, that's a big jump!) and one of our programmers has a physics degree. I think for the most part its just a check-box type thing, either you have a Bachelors or you don't.
    Certs: CCENT, CCNA:R&S
    Working on: MCITP:SA
    Goals: CCENT (ICND1) [Done], CCNA (ICND2) [Done], MCITP:SA
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Physics makes sense for programming. Atleast game programming.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    A CCNA alone can rarely lands someone a job, especially in networking. Truth be told, no company will want an 'out of the box' CCNA touch their mission-critical equipment. The only thing it can do is shine your resume. Start from desktop, maybe one day you get 'read' access to a router.
  • Options
    urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Sirs,
    I have only B.Sc.(PCM) with no honors or specialization.I did it from a world-renowned Indian Univ in Eastern India.Unfortunately the Univ had wrong edu policies which made me do a 10+2+2 graduation i.e. I have a 2 years graduation or 14 years of regular education in India. Plus I graduated in 1998. I dont have any IT experience till date ,only some pharma sales exp. So can I get a decent job in networking after ccna without any IT degree?
  • Options
    You gotta answer this question, urvi...
    Are you hungry for the job? Are you motivated enough?

Yes. You can get a decent job with just a CCNA. You can also get a decent job with a BS degree. You can get a decent job with just experience. You can get a decent job without any of them.

Having the three will improve your chances for a better paying, more responsibilities, and a position where you're making the choices. If that's the thing you're into.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    cgoetz86cgoetz86 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well if I do get my CCNA how do I go about getting myself into an entry level position with a reputable company?
  • Options
    A lot of work.
    1. Know your material. Show that you want to know more by expanding your knowledge as well.
    2. Look sharp.
    3. Social Networking - A little help from your friends goes a long way.
    4. Patience.
    5. Learn to bloody handshake. It's a lost skill from what I've seen... but trust me, a handshake speaks a lot about someone.
    6. Luck. You make luck by putting yourself out there...

There's tons of people with CCNA. There's those that don't do anything with it or barely care, then there are those that'll grit their teeth and claw at any thread they can get their paws on.