Netgear router issue

taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
Hey everyone,

I have a Netgear R6250 wireless AC router that just started having some issues that I had never seen before. The issues started about 2 days ago and no major changes were made. Here's what's happening:

I noticed when I woke up a few days ago I couldn't get on the internet so I power cycled the router. It then started working again. When I got home from work I had the same issue... power cycled again and all was well. So I started working remotely on a project through a RDP connection to my work PC and everything was working fine. I then tried to do some web surfing on my local PC while working and I could not connect to any sites. Once I was done working i reset the router again and was able to surf. I started doing some training through Career Academy (watching CCENT videos) and while I was watching I wanted to look something up on Google and couldn't connect. Again, I could not connect to any other sites, and this was not just the PC but my phone as well. The weird thing was that i was able to watch the videos without any issues or disconnects.

What it seems like is happening is that once I make a connection to a certain site for more than a couple minutes that I am unable to make any other connections at the same time. Again, this doesn't just affect my desktop PC but all other network devices. Anyone ever have this happen before?

Oh and i must mention that once I started having this problem I noticed there was a firmware upgrade for the router which I installed and it did not solve the problem.

Comments

• WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Check your router log for firewall intrusions/DDOS attacks. I don't know why and I can't figure it out, but there seems to be some sort of issue with Netgear routers that makes them fat targets for DDOS attacks, almost like someone has a way of seeking them out by the brand and model.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Thanks Waffles. I'll give that a try tonight. I'll probably reset the router to defaults as well to see if that clears the issue up. I had never seen the issue before so I thought I would reach out and see if anyone else had.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    If your router isn't logging anything, enable it. It helps solve problems big time. Unfortunately, the basic firmware of the routers doesn't allow for automatic IP blocking. It just lets them keep knocking and knocking and knocking and knocking. You may have to call your ISP and report the IP information if it looks like a repetitive attack.