Options

Cisco Network Academy

Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
In Mid August my school is letting me take the Cisco Network Academy for preparation CCENT\CCNA, and its all being paid for through the school. I was wondering if anyone has taken the class before, and how good is the material? I'm currently using Odom's books so I could get all the concepts, commands, and theory of everything before the class so that then when I take the online class it will be more of a refresher, and more time for labs. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    SkydivingcowsSkydivingcows Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took it in person around 2004. It probably changed since then a good bit but I'll give my thoughts anyway.

It was 4 parts broken into 2 semesters. The first part (half a semester) was basically nothing but subnetting. If you pickup on that quick then you will likely be bored at first. Don't let that distract you though. The great part about being there in person was getting hands on. We had about a dozen people in our class so when we worked in pairs we had roughly 5 routers per pair. It was a great program in my mind and part 3 was the best class I think I ever had in any schooling. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you do as well.

Being that you are taking it online you may be able to spend time doing side-labs until the course work picks up to your level if you have previous knowledge.

You probably apply for a discount on the voucher from school as well. Plan on taking the CCNA within a month after the class ends. It will never be fresher. I took the end of year curriculum test and only missed one question. Apparently I was the only person my instructors had seen to receive "Excellent." :) I've been kicking myself for the last decade for never taking it afterwards.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info the material is online but the hardware is all in class. my class is composed of 23 students fortunately its a self paced class, and we start with A+ then with more certs in between end with CCNA. Everyone is still on the second cert (net+) while I'm going to finish the course early. so I get all the ccna hardware to myself :D
  • Options
    WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Network Academy also gives you access to Packet Tracer and many quality PT labs. Use that to supplement your hands-on time.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went through a long time ago.

My first two semesters covered Basic Networking, making Ethernet cables (we even made cables as a lab), Network Design (MPOE, Point of Presence, MDF, IDF, Server Room Requirements, etc...), IOS Basics, and Subnetting.

The second two semesters had more subnetting (subnetting was drilled on for all 4 semesters), IPv4 and IPX Routing, Routing Protocols, Switching (VLANs, etc...), WANs, etc...

The final semester wrapped up with a Threaded Case Study (TCS) where we had to design a network for a school district. Everything from the selection and pricing of devices and cabling (Hubs in the classrooms, Switches to break up the collision domains, and routers to connect the various schools), selection of rooms for the MDF and IDFs, designing a LAN Intrastructure for each school, and designing a WAN infrastructure to connect the schools. I asked not too long back and was told the TCS is gone. I suspect all the design aspects which were part of the CCNA back when were probably moved to the CCDA.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    revadrevad Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was in it, took the first 3 parts, but decided to not take the 4th because it would not finish up before the Sept 30 deadline, so I just studying that myself now. I had 2 really good teachers, one of which was actually a question writer for the exams.

The classes moved a little to slow for me, but it will vary for the individual according to how much free time you have to devote to studying.

They REALLY emphasized subnetting, if you are weak at subnetting, you won't be when the course is finished. Now, I just do it all in my head, never write anything down.
  • Options
    fiftyofiftyo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having gone through all 4 CCNA classes twice(yes twice), my opinion is a little devided.
    Pros:
    As WilyOne mentionened, packet tracer and the labs.
    Chapter tests/practice exams
    Some simulations of how the conecpts work in the online material.
    Exam vouchers if you pass with >75%
    Cons:
    The books are about 300 pages too long each than they need to be, they go into way too much unecessary detail. I'd recommend the odom books and cbt/ine/chris bryant, you'll pass with flying colors.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the reply! I want august to hurry up already I would do the exams on my own, but the 75% discount on both test will really help my wallet. @fiftyo I was wondering if you meant each semester was about 300 pages, or if they were 300 more pages they needed to be? And before the class starts I'm already reading the Odom book's about alittle more than half way through the 100-101 book then I'll watch the CBT videos. I'll probably be half with the 200-101 book before I start the class. Was wondering if anyone knows if they changed the class for the new material? Or will I be learning the old exams material, and have to rely on my Odom books for the new material?
  • Options
    There are 4 books in total, each book is around 600 pages. I didn't even open the wan book, still finished with >85% on the final. So stick with odom&cbt nuggets! But anyway, if you understand the underlying concepts of ccna, you'll pass with flying colours. Don't forget labbing either, there are practical exams in each course as well!
  • Options
    Yes labbing is a big part of test. After I actually start the course most of my time will be on labbing plus review of what I learned from the Odom books, and CBT Videos. And hopefully with reading these books I could skim through the Class books so I don't waste too much time. Thanks again I hope to pass in the beginning or mid October. Putting about 3 hours a day into studying once I get back to school August 19th
  • Options
    WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    fiftyo wrote: »
    The books are about 300 pages too long each than they need to be, they go into way too much unecessary detail. I'd recommend the odom books and cbt/ine/chris bryant, you'll pass with flying colors.
    The current iteration of Cisco Networking Academy has no books at all - it's all online.

There are Companion Guides you can buy, but they are optional and not really required IMO. Not sure if your school will require them, but mine didn't and not spending extra for more books was all right by me. :)
  • Options
    WilyOne wrote: »
    The current iteration of Cisco Networking Academy has no books at all - it's all online.

There are Companion Guides you can buy, but they are optional and not really required IMO. Not sure if your school will require them, but mine didn't and not spending extra for more books was all right by me. :)

We'll that's true, however, the highschool class I took we were handed the companion guides as study material. The uni classes I took, companion guides were recommended study material.(if I recall correctly this was 2011/2012) The online material is great in the way you gain access to visualization of concepts, as well as end of chapter labs. I'd still recommend odom/lammle books over it though.
  • Options
    Yea I'm still going to read both, because I think the companion books are online along with the labs now, and from what my friends who took the course for the exams before they said there was somethings not covered, or not covered in depth so hopefully the odom books, and CBT videos cover that. Thanks for all the info guys!