Options

Cisco WIC-1AM WIC

kacperkacper Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have three cisco routers (2 x 2610XM, 1 x 1760) two of them have a WIC-1AM WIC installed. I was wondering if they can be used to connect two cisco routers together (eg. to create a wan link)? Is there a corresponding WIC to create the telco line voltage?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think these are modem cards, so no I don't believe there is a way to simulate a WAN link for your studies with these.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to hijack his thread but I have a quick question, which may help the OP. My two 2621's each have a WIC 1DSU/CSU T1 card in it. They are good for WAN simulation right?
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    kacperkacper Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bbarrick wrote: »
    Not to hijack his thread but I have a quick question, which may help the OP. My two 2621's each have a WIC 1DSU/CSU T1 card in it. They are good for WAN simulation right?
    There should be no problem using the two WICs to connect to each other. You will need a T1 crossover cable. See http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/62940-t1-dsu-csu-wan-interface-card.html
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bbarrick wrote: »

Perfectly good. I use WIC-1DSU-T1 and WIC-1DSU-T1 V2 (The older - Non V2 - is not supported on ISR Routers). I just setup a Frame Relay Network the other day using these. What you will need is T1 Crossover Cables. You can make them yourself or buy them. They are alot cheaper and simpler to connect together as there are not a bunch of different cables (Smart Serial DCE -> DB60 DTE, DB60 DCE -> Smart Serial DTE, Smart Serial DCE -> Smart Serial DTE, DB60 DCE -> DB60 DTE, not to mention all the half (DCE Only or DTE Only) cables) that may not work if you switch your DTEs/DCEs around.

To configure:

R1(config-if)#service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    R1(config-if)#clock source {internal | line}

Basically, these two commands function like the clock rate command. The first sets the speed of the link by telling it how many timeslots to use. Each timeslot is 64 kbps, so using all 24 would give you a Full T1 (1.544 Mbps). Using a subset of the timeslots would give you a fractional T1 (Speed = Timeslots x 64 kbps). The second command tells it where the link gets its timing. "internal" means its acting as the DCE. "line" means get the timing from the line or that its acting as a DTE.

There are a couple of other commands to set the Framing and Linecode used, but I have yet to see a router that doesn't simply silently ignore these commands and every router I've tried works just fine with the defaults.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kacper wrote: »
    I was wondering if they can be used to connect two cisco routers together (eg. to create a wan link)?

Yes and No. You could create a dial-up connection with the right combination of modules and routers, but this would not be covered on the CCNA.
    kacper wrote: »
    Is there a corresponding WIC to create the telco line voltage?

Yes, the VIC-2FXS or VIC-4FXS (VIC2-2FXS or VIC2-4FXS on ISR Routers). These are actually VOICE Interface Cards rather than WICs. You will see these in CCNA: Voice. I received a router with a WIC-1AM also and was planning on [even though it is not part of the CCNA] giving it a try:

Analog Modem -> VIC-2FXS -> WIC-1AM
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]