Student looking for advice.

AlomancyAlomancy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm also about to start my long and driven career in Security and Forensics.

So a bit about myself, I am a 24 year old student from Scotland in my final year. I graduate in December with a bachelors degree in Computer Security and Forensics. Every graduated student I have spoken too has never managed to get a security job and end up working in software or other roles far away from Security/Networks. I'm a little phased by this and decided to do some research into what types of jobs there are and what they are looking for. So far my search has found companies are asking for experience and certifications.

I have asked around at University and the only course they offer is the CCNA which I already have.

The other important things to consider is that i have 3 main directions, Live in the USA (I currently hold a US working visa after a years placement as a network engineer). Work in Security (e.g Information Security Engineer), and lastly (hopefully) work for a games company.

The Questions I need answers for is this.
  • Where should I be looking to get the required expierience I need to climb the ladders to reach my goal?
  • Should I start looking for Trainee network engineer jobs and progress during the time spent working?
  • Do I start in the UK?
  • Best certificates to gain (now or later)?
  • Is there a difference in certificates like CCNP(security), GCIA, GCFA? are there prerequisites I need to know about?
  • Whats the job market like and where is a good place to find such jobs in the USA?
lastly I would just like to say thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and any and all help is greatly appreciated.

A Confused Student (Alo)

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I find the fact that graduates from your program can't find a security job as normal. Unfortunately, here it doesn't matter what degrees and certs you have if you don't have experience to show for it. Also, I'm not quite sure as to whether you have any professional experience but I'm going to assume the answer is no.

Where should I be looking to get the required expierience I need to climb the ladders to reach my goal?
    I would say don't aim at security right away. Get 6-12 months as a network administrator for example, try to get the most of it and apply your security knowledge there. Try and get as much security tasks as you can. I don't think you should settle for help desk type of jobs. In my view, you can aim a little higher and get your foot through the door.

Do I start in the UK?
    I think it is generally a better idea to start in your country because chances are it is going to be a little easier. It really does make a difference if you go to the USA now with no experience as opposed to going with experience + your degree and certs(best combo). Another thing to bear in mind is that when you go to e foreign country, it is unlikely that you will be hired for a gig when you are competing with someone from the country in question with very similar skill set. When I think about it, it does make some sense. This is true in my experience, others may disagree.

Best certificates to gain (now or later)
    Is there a difference in certificates like CCNP(security), GCIA, GCFA? are there prerequisites I need to know about?
    As someone in forensics you will benefit from a broader range of knowledge. Since you are already on the Cisco path, I think the CCNP security will be a nice asset. Look into EC-Council - CEH and CHFI. If you ask me they are a joke but they have high market value for some reason and will definitely help you in job hunting. As for drawing a comparison between Cisco and GIAC - they are different but I think they are both very good. If I were you I would get both of them. If it seems like too much I would make sure to study for both of them.

Whats the job market like and where is a good place to find such jobs in the USA?
    Someone else will have to say about the market but a good place to find a job is online. Indeed, Monster, Dice, LinkedIn. I would be surprised if you don't get something useful out of these. However, landing a forensics job in a foreign country could be a challenge due to the nature of the job.

Hope this was of any help.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    Does your (non-USA) digital forensics degree have a lot of academic training in the structure and operation of the US legal system? If not, you will require additional legal training to get real forensics job here in the USA to work with our legal system.

As Master Of Puppets said, look on the popular job boards for job positing that interest you and note where they are geographically located and what education, certification, and experience the hiring managers are looking for. When wanting to know what you need to get a job, ask the people who are doing the actual hiring.