Check Point Firewall Emulation

I want to get some hands on with a Check Point Firewall... is it possible to emulate a Check Point Firewall? I've heard you can get an evaluation version (just software?)... how does that work? Or is that something else?

Thanks.

Comments

• netstatnetstat Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will need to gain access to the check point portal to download the material. Usually it would be a 15day trial.

Once you pass the CCSA exam you are eligible for downloads. Or else you can attend the check point courses and they will give you the material you need. If you do not have access to either, maybe someone who has access to the portal can download SPLAT/GAIA for you to play with.

There are no emulation versions for check point. You work/play on the real thing - only that without a lisence it would only last 15days.

Once you obtain the software (which is basically the OS) you can install on any x86 compatible hardware including VMs.
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Right so you're saying I can have my PC act as a Check Point firewall? Could I, for example, implement policies for traffic on one interface on my PC going to another? What about VPN, IPS/IDS etc ...the website really isn't clear on what's what and for a newbie like me it's difficult to understand.

Thanks.
  • netstatnetstat Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check Point is linux based which means if you ever used linux on a pc you know that sometimes no everything works out of the box immediately. With check point the best approach is to use the recommended hardware list which is on their website. But since not everybody can afford servers, Virtual Machines are the closest match to ensure everything is supported. I had gone for training and each student had one pc hosting several VMs on it. That made a good lab environment. If you would like to use it to connect to the internet, yes, it certainly can be done by bridging the VM interfaces to the local nic of the pc / host. In general, every blade should work just fine for 15 days, after which you would have to reinstall everything again.
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Sweet. E-mailed Check Point asking for an evaluation... see what they say. Thanks.