Options

33 too old to become a network engineer?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
As above, is it too old considering i dont even have ccent yet? Is it a long road?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No you're not too old, but yes it is a long road. Takes time to work your way up especially from nothing.

Do you have a degree or experience? Are you bringing anything to the table?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I don't see it as too old. You bring other experience to the game, that can provide useful insight.

If 33 is suddenly too old, when do I get my AARP card?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everything takes work but the sooner you start your journey the sooner you'll take yourself new places. If you decided thats what you want to do then follow through and don't waste time thinking about it.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not at all. Just don't expect special treatment due to your age. You will be expected to bring just as strong a combination of enthusiasm, effort, and knowledge to the table as that 23-year-old working beside you. I have seen folks start late in this field and fumble due to silly nonsense like, "I'm too old to work late" or "I'm too old to lift that!"

(As context, the one was asked to be on-call on Friday nights, and the other had joined a technician/hands role and was asked to lift/install many items, of course given reasonable tools/equipment.)
  • Options
    No you're not too old, but yes it is a long road. Takes time to work your way up especially from nothing.

Do you have a degree or experience? Are you bringing anything to the table?

Degree in computer networks and 4 years exp in support.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Then I'd say get that CCENT, CCNA and get your network career going :)
  • Options
    Some good replies here. Can i ask is there such a thing as a "network engineer" and a "cisco network engineer" ?
    Is there much difference? Also does a network engineer have much dealings with people on a daily basis compared to say a systems admin?
  • Options
    Yes i am currently studying ccent and find it really interesting. I spent so long trying to decide what area of i.t i want to get into but i find myself geting sucked into the whole cisco thing.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Of course not. Go for it.
    I got my CCENT at 38.
  • Options
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Of course not. Go for it.
    I got my CCENT at 38.

What role are you in now?
  • Options
    phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hope not. I'm 31 and just now trying to make up for not finishing my IT education by getting some certs and trying find an entry level spot in northern Colorado. I think one advantage to being older is that you have a lot of distractions out of the way. You've a had a chance to live life and are in a better position to focus on learning and advancement. I know I'm remembering and learning more from studying on my own now than I ever did from sitting in a classroom in my late teens/early 20s.
  • Options
    phdillard wrote: »
    I hope not. I'm 31 and just now trying to make up for not finishing my IT education by getting some certs and trying find an entry level spot in northern Colorado. I think one advantage to being older is that you have a lot of distractions out of the way. You've a had a chance to live life and are in a better position to focus on learning and advancement. I know I'm remembering and learning more from studying on my own now than I ever did from sitting in a classroom in my late teens/early 20s.

Couldnt agree more.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'd be surprised how much you can learn in a 2-3 year period. I am sure if you buckle down and study hard you will be in a great position by the time your 35. Goodluck!!!
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. Check the manual 32 and 364 days is the cutoff. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    what certs are a must for a network engineer?
  • Options
    eddo1 wrote: »
    Some good replies here. Can i ask is there such a thing as a "network engineer" and a "cisco network engineer" ?
    Well, there are such things as network engineers, and some primarily work with Cisco. Around 80% of the material covered by a Cisco or Juniper certification applies quite well to other vendors as well. OSPF is OSPF and BGP is BGP!
    Also does a network engineer have much dealings with people on a daily basis compared to say a systems admin?
    We discussed this recently in another thread. While lead and architect roles often involve making presentations, and people skills are always good, in many roles you can get away with limited inter-personal interactions if that's your thing.
  • Options
    eddo1 wrote: »
    what certs are a must for a network engineer?
    A CCENT or CCNA is a typical "must-have" for an entry-level position. Once you have some networking experience under your belt--Cisco recommends one year--earning a relevant CCNP is the logical next step.
  • Options
    BackpackerBackpacker Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im 42 and studying for the CCNA as well as my finishing my BS I started 23 years ago, so no I don't think your to old. You have 29 years until you can retire at least.
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    41 and passed the CCNA this passed December... if 33 is too old... I'm a dinosaur. :) You can do it... :) As far as it being a long road... well... it all depends on the amount of work you put in to it... like most things I suppose. Jump in with both feet... no time like the present.

Hatch
  • Options
    BigD5XBigD5X Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm 50 now, passed my CCNA last year May, passed CCNA Voice last year July now studying for my CCNP. Passed CCNP switch this pass April 2013. Currently studying for CCNP route. I too have very little real hands on experience with Cisco equipment but having a CCNA will get you an interview and I know that for sure.

I've been in IT for 16 years. I'm A+,Network+, MCP Win XP and MCP NT server 4.0.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You are never too old to learn anything! go for it, get in there and get configuring. You'll love it.