Options

Looking for guidance on career change

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
Sorry about the ambiguous title, i hate long wordy titles though.

ME:
Im 27, married w/1 year old. Ive got a A.S. in Management, ive been employed at my dads business and using that degree for 5 years. We are in SE Michigan, and to say business has really taken a hit...is putting it lightly. I told my dad two weeks ago im going back to school for "computer stuff", two days ago i signed up for a BS in Info technology and Security

Program details: https://carina.baker.edu/MSTSTPO?DLV=U&LOCNO=20006&DIV=CIS&DEG=BTS&CON=ITS&CVER=2013A&VER=2013A&DIVTTL=Bachelor%20of%20Information%20Technology%20and%20Security&PGMTTL=Information%20Technology%20and%20Security&PGMTTL1=&OFRTTL=THIS%20PROGRAM%20IS%20OFFERED%20AT%20THE%20FOLLOWING%20BAKER%20COLLEGE%20CAMPUS%20SITE%3A&CMPOFR=Auburn%20Hills&DEPT=ACD

I graduated from this institution so all of the pre-reqs are fulfilled, i just have to fulfill the "Core" requirements and the odds and ends to achieve a BS.

Thats me, i tried to keep it short and concise and i left out some details.

My question(s):

The last month at work has been brutally slow, so slow that payroll is not starting to get difficult to make. I signed up for the BS with the idea that i would have some time to transition into IT. Now its a possibility i might be out of work much sooner than i expected, and im wondering if i shouldn't drop the BS down to AAS to expedite the transition.

Does that sound like a mistake? I want to work in info security, which is why i choose that BS. However it seems like in IT (more so than any other industry) there are many ways to accomplish a goal...and i could always go online with the classes to achieve the BS in info sec after getting employed in IT.

However, the logical side of my brain says to stick it out. Unemployment can pay 60-70% of my wages, id have more time for school and it seems there is a flood of AAS in the job market while most employers are seeking a BS "or equivalent experience".

The school (Baker) offers a AAS in Cisco networking, software dev, web dev...actually many things:
https://carina.baker.edu/PGMSO?DLV=U&DIV=CIS&DIVTTL=Computer%20Information%20Systems%20Programs&DEPT=ACD&LOCNO=20006

I know this is a broad question, so any input is appreciated even if its just a simple icon_cheers.gif

And a quick edit: While i was signing up for classes, the advisor informed me they were updating the class description and i would need to choose a major. Just two days ago, the majors were not listed on the site so i was unable to choose a major.

Now, after i have posted this long thread i see in the link i included above that i can choose a "Cisco" networking major that would prepare me for CCNA certification. That definitely makes me think i should stick with the BS instead of dropping down.