Options

lab hardware

holyrollerholyroller Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been studying for the CCNA exam for a few weeks, just wondering-
are most lab simulators effective for exam preparation, or should I set up an actual lab at my home? And also, can anyone suggest a good
router(s) to use for lab that isn't too expensive?

Comments

• Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Even though this is one a common question... Yes, you can use a simulator to experience enough "hands-on" information to help you test out of the exam. The most popular one, on this board IMHO, is Boson 5.xx version. Some others use RouterSim. Understand that using the simulators... you will find bugs in the program that you would not normally find in a real environment. So, this issue may discourage you or bring you down to the wrong path of thinking when it just happens to be a glitch in the software.

Of course, if you can afford it... it is always worth purchasing a couple of routers and a switch. The cheapest alternative would be the 2501 series routers that you can find for less than 50 US dollars but you should insure that they have the max RAM/ FLASH available to you. (16/16) Also, try to insure that it has a current or newer IOS version. When it comes to switches.... this is a very difficult task to find a switch that is really needed 29xx series versus the cheaper switches 19xx. The 29xx use CLI while the 19xx use CAT commands. Huge difference when you are attempting to understand the IOS.

With all this said... all I can or anyone can recommend is to read a couple of books instead of one... for example, read Sybex 5th ed and the Cisco Press Kit. During your reading... use the Router Simulator to accomplish your needs for study. If you feel that this field is what you want in life... then purchase the routers and switches.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    holyrollerholyroller Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks!! I really appreciate the advice.
    I'm leaning more toward the thought of having a
    stack of hardware heating up my basement, rather
    than just using software simulators. Can you suggest
    any companies that might sell routers at a decent price?
    I've been browsing on Ebay lately, seems like the best
    way to go so far....
  • Options
    Everyone has their ideas. Some say Bryant Advantage... others have some other Cisco kits. But, personally... I think they are too freakin' expensive.

I would stick with eBay. I got all my stuff there and only had one DOA item and they replaced it with a better router. So, I have no qualms regarding ebay. Just be patient about purchasing and wait for the good deals. For example... watch the prices on the 3550s. They normally sell for 1500 or quick buy at 2000. But, I got both of mine for 1075 and 1160. But, it did take me about 4 months to pick those two up.

Also, pay attention to the small things like dram/ flash and image (IOS) version. Just make sure you at least buy one with an updated flash and then you can tftp the image across your other routers.
  • Options
    darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    holyroller wrote:
    I've been studying for the CCNA exam for a few weeks, just wondering-
    are most lab simulators effective for exam preparation, or should I set up an actual lab at my home? And also, can anyone suggest a good
    router(s) to use for lab that isn't too expensive?

Frequent Question.
    QUIX0TIC wrote:
    Even though this is one a common question... Yes, you can use a simulator to experience enough "hands-on" information to help you test out of the exam. The most popular one, on this board IMHO, is Boson 5.xx version. Some others use RouterSim. Understand that using the simulators... you will find bugs in the program that you would not normally find in a real environment. So, this issue may discourage you or bring you down to the wrong path of thinking when it just happens to be a glitch in the software.

Of course, if you can afford it... it is always worth purchasing a couple of routers and a switch. The cheapest alternative would be the 2501 series routers that you can find for less than 50 US dollars but you should insure that they have the max RAM/ FLASH available to you. (16/16) Also, try to insure that it has a current or newer IOS version. When it comes to switches.... this is a very difficult task to find a switch that is really needed 29xx series versus the cheaper switches 19xx. The 29xx use CLI while the 19xx use CAT commands. Huge difference when you are attempting to understand the IOS.

With all this said... all I can or anyone can recommend is to read a couple of books instead of one... for example, read Sybex 5th ed and the Cisco Press Kit. During your reading... use the Router Simulator to accomplish your needs for study. If you feel that this field is what you want in life... then purchase the routers and switches.

Very very non-frequent answer icon_lol.gif

Good explaination there "Quin"
    321hahaha.jpg
  • Options
    Thx.
  • Options
    darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    You deserve it mate ;)
    321hahaha.jpg