Options

Advice on Degrees and Certs

2»

Comments

• Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    But in what situations would you be inclined to hire someone with a business or finance background

I operate primarily in risk analysis for several clients. A business or finance degree is as effective (or more, provided the same technical experience) within information assurance as a technical degree when assessing the high level IA business processes of a client.

It's why companies like FishNet Security require either a technical or a business degree for their GRC consultants - one, situationally dependent (of course), can be far more useful than the other (EDIT: when putting a team together)... Provided the same experience.

EDIT: It's all in marketing - a law degree with a CCFP? Insanely valuable. Some degrees just can't be marketed as an advantage in IT, in which case they're still better than no degree, but not going to beat out relevant experience.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    redz wrote: »
    To be clear, once my consulting schedule slows down (or I accept a real person job), I intend to begin taking classes at WGU.
    Feels like dejavu. I said the same thing 20 years ago but things never slowed down for me. I agree with all you said but hope you consider starting on your degree. Two decades ago, there were no online schools like WGU. It sounds like you have a successful career and it may never slow down.

@op - I won't pig-pile but perhaps you may want to reconsider your comments.
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    In cool-ege they lie to you. Telling you all degrees are equal. I drank the koolaid (and plenty of beer) and took an economics degree instead of something challenging like EE. This was the biggest mistake of my life. Afterwards I always got hired for my one practical skill (speaking Spanish) not for the degree, which meant nothing to nobody.

Had I several years to do over with, I'd either have gotten an EE degree or just focused on getting my CCIE right out of high school.