Options

Good cert that I can prepare for in a month

Jgonz2848Jgonz2848 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, my name is Justin Gonzalez. I'm new to the forums. I am a 22 year old airmen in the Client Systems career field. My job in the air force is to be a jack-of-all trades tech repair guy. My training involved allot of computer, radio and telephone familiarization. Since getting in I have earned an Associates in I.T from the Community College of The Air Force, a Top Secret SCI clearance and am now just beginning to transition into my online bachelors in Computer Science at University of Maryland University College. I have a few questions.

Firstly, does anyone have any opinions on degrees that were earned online? I work an odd schedule and my only opportunity to take classes is online. Do civilian's care whether or not you earned your degree online or not if it is still regionally accredited?

Secondly, during the last stretch of my Associates work I earned S+ and N+ certifications. I earned A+ in my tech school. I am currently feeling very motivated to take more certification exams before my next term of online classes starts in late august. Are there any good certifications I can take within a month?I was considering ICND part 1 although I read that the ICND exams are changing soon. What's a good cert to take with a month to prepare?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jgonz2848 wrote: »
    My job in the air force
    While I have never hired a veteran--despite interviewing several--I've always preferred those who serve our country!
    a Top Secret SCI clearance
    That is valuable in some roles.
    my online bachelors in Computer Science at University of Maryland University College.
    Totally awesome!
    Firstly, does anyone have any opinions on degrees that were earned online? I work an odd schedule and my only opportunity to take classes is online. Do civilian's care whether or not you earned your degree online or not if it is still regionally accredited?
    Some will. More important to most, is how your school ranks vs. other schools. US News is one of the more popular sources for reports and it ranks your school #58 in the nation, and #14 in Computer Science.. Not too shabby! You will be in good shape with a Computer Science degree from that school. Study hard, learn the material, and score good grades.
    Are there any good certifications I can take within a month?I was considering ICND part 1 although I read that the ICND exams are changing soon. What's a good cert to take with a month to prepare?
    Cisco and Microsoft are both great choices. It depends, entirely, on your interests. :)
    Thank you.
    Thank YOU for serving our country, and best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Jgonz2848Jgonz2848 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Appreciate the kind words sir. I had no idea that UMUC ranked so high. I definitely feel more proud about studying there as now. Thanks.