Options

OSPF too simple in old CCNA ?

IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is it just me, or was anyone else kind of let down at the simple implementation required for the ICND 2 640-816 ?

I was really excited to finally start learning, now that I've been through the material I'm kind of like , meh. Sure I'm no master even for the CCNA level but on my first pass through the topics of OSPF at this level it left me wanting more. The good thing is I think I've found my biggest interest in cisco so far, routing. I plan on going into CCNP later on, so I think I may want to start out preparing for CCNP route, now that I've gotten a taste of OSPF and can't wait to get some more :)

Comments

• Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Whats up with NDA today?

Anyhow, OSPF in CCNP is much more in depth; you'll be pleased with your studies.
  • Options
    I haven't taken the test yet, just commenting on my study materials and the syllabus so NDA should be busy somewhere else :D
    But yeah, I guess you're right. I here people get that same feeling for BGP once they've gone through CCNP too.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I here people get that same feeling for BGP once they've gone through CCNP too.
    Yup, the CCNP R&S barely touches BGP, since it's focused on enterprises rather than service providers.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Yup, the CCNP barely touches BGP. You end up with the same feeling then you're getting about OSPF now. :)

I felt pretty good about BGP after taking the netacademy courses; it doesnt reflect on RR / confeds and what not but atleast it was more in depth than CCNA was with OSPF (and atleast it mentioned it so I could look more into it).
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    I have a 900 page book just on OSPF Network Design sitting on my desk. That should give you something to look forward to. Try migrating from eIGRP to OSPF in a large data center.....
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm hoping that now that Cisco has released [part of] EIGRP as an open standard that the industry will eventually standardize on EIGRP.

draft-savage-eigrp-00
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    I'm hoping that now that Cisco has released [part of] EIGRP as an open standard that the industry will eventually standardize on EIGRP.
    Goodbye dynamic traffic engineering, easily bounded route calculations, and "The map is the same on every device." ;)
  • Options
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    I have a 900 page book just on OSPF Network Design sitting on my desk. That should give you something to look forward to. Try migrating from eIGRP to OSPF in a large data center.....

Are you trying to scare me icon_lol.gif . I'll definitely continue my studies, my underwhelming feeling just came from my expectation of learning LOTS of configuring stuff from my CCNA study material. No doubt OSPF is a beast when you get deep into it, and begin learning the truly advanced techniques. One day...one day.
  • Options
    Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    Is it just me, or was anyone else kind of let down at the simple implementation required for the ICND 2 640-816 ?

Two things you have to consider are you may have a natural aptitude for OSPF; certain subjects make perfect sense to some and bewilder others completely. Also, as pointed out that the CCNA doesn't get down into the roots of OSPF being the entry level for what follows.

It will be interesting to see how your perspective differs if you continue to CCNP level and the additional knowledge and depth of OSPF that is required.

Best of luck with your studies.
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    I can't think of one topic that really is "in depth" at that level, but if you want an excellent presentation of OSPF, check out Routing TCP/IP Volume I.
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Goodbye dynamic traffic engineering, easily bounded route calculations, and "The map is the same on every device." ;)

LOL... word.

There's only one place in a network that I would ever recommend EIGRP, which is on a VPN... and only if that VPN is a DMVPN, and only if that DMVPN is a large DMVPN. Too bad Cisco released all of the parts of EIGRP, except for the stub feature... which is the only reason to deploy EIGRP on a VPN. They said that when the DMVPN BU decides to open DMVPN to the public, they will open up the EIGRP stub functionality as well.

In other words... don't hold your breath.

In addition; all they did was release it as an informational RFC. This means that other vendors can implement the features that were included... but the developmental rights belongs to Cisco. So another vendor can't take EIGRP and add their own stub-like implementation.

That's like saying hey industry you should all use OSPF, but you're not allowed to create non-backbone areas until we tell you.
  • Options
    Two things you have to consider are you may have a natural aptitude for OSPF; certain subjects make perfect sense to some and bewilder others completely. Also, as pointed out that the CCNA doesn't get down into the roots of OSPF being the entry level for what follows.

It will be interesting to see how your perspective differs if you continue to CCNP level and the additional knowledge and depth of OSPF that is required.

Best of luck with your studies.

Yeah, don't want to underestimate either, might even drive me crazy :D

Also, thanks for the input and best luck wishes.
  • Options
    I can't think of one topic that really is "in depth" at that level, but if you want an excellent presentation of OSPF, check out Routing TCP/IP Volume I.

I've seen most people read it for CCIE , yikes too soon for me.
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    I've seen most people read it for CCIE , yikes too soon for me.

If you want depth, I'm pointing you to where its at. CCNP Route with Odom is something I wish I had avoided and gone straight to the aforementioned tome of IGPs.