Options

Question about Cisco 2500 routers

gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
Hi. I have a problem connecting to certain routers on my school project. This is the scenario. We are using 2 computers to configure 3 routers. We have two cat5 cables connected to the console ports of each of the two routers (one to each router). We configure those two first, and then we take the cat5 out of one router, and put it into the third router so that we can configure that one too. We use Hyperterminal to do this.

Router 1: s0=dce
Router 2: s0=dce, s1=dte
Router 3: s1=dte

It's basically s0 connected to s1, s0 connected to s1

Routers 1 and 2 can connect to each other
Routers 2 and 3 can connect to each other
Routers 1 and 3 cannot connect to each other

I've heard that I need to use RIP version 2 in order to do this. I've tried it, but it doesn't seem to be working. All routers are cisco 2500 routers. If anyone has any input, or can guide me in the right direction, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
The biggest risk in life is not taking one.

Comments

• Options
    kyle.tkkyle.tk Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Post the config's

especialy the output of "show interface" and "show ip route"
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Router 1 and 3 should be on different subnets. Since they should be on different subnets... then they shouldnt be able to see each other. You will need some type of routing protocol to allow Router 1 talk to Router 3 or create static routes on all three routers.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    Mr.NoeMr.Noe Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you do the router rip on all 3 routers and enter the version and directly connected network in configuration mode? And that you specify the clock rate on router2 s0 interface and issue the no shutdown command?

Router(config)#router rip
    Router(config-router)#version 2
    Router(config-router)#network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Router(config-router)#network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    it's not clear as to the interface state where you say you have the problem. If all interfaces are up/up you have a layer 3 problem. If not that is issue you must address first (layer 1 or 2). Do a sh ip int b and go from there.

Yankee
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the pointers. I'm going to try it out at school today. We'll see what happens.
  • Options
    When I went to do the configuration, router 1 still couldn't talk to router 3 and vice versa. It said that the gateway or host was unreachable. When I did the "sh ip int bri" command, it said something about SLARP. What does that mean?

Also, on the router rip part, I put in my network ID and the other two network ID's. Was I only supposed to put the networks that I am trying to telnet to?
  • Options
    mayh3mmayh3m Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you got RIP or RIP2 running on all 3 routers?
    Try a sh ip route, and see what comes up there.
    If 1-2 and 2-3 work OK, then there can't be too much wrong with the individual connections. What IP addressing do you have on the interfaces?

When configuring RIP, you should only configure the networks that are directly connected. RIP will fill in the remote ones.

Just in case, you might want to try checking for any access lists, if they are shared routers, I had someone configure an access list preventing RIP, took ages to figure it out :)
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    post the configs... that will help out alot.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    I finally figured out what was wrong with it. It's what Mr. Noe said. I didn't have the RIP configured right. I had the right version (number 2) but didn't put down the networks that I was directly connected to. I want to thank everybody for their help. Now I'm going to be able to pass my routing class and graduate in January. Once again, thanks. :D