skipping the Net+ to go straight for CCENT. Getting in over my head?

phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've decided that the cheaper and more logical thing to do in my quest to move up in my career would be to skip the cost and time of the Net+ and go straight for the CCENT as it holds more weight and seems to be more in demand than just a generic cert. At the current time my level of knowledge is whatever networking was covered on the A+ and about 2 weeks of a college Cisco class I took like 8 years ago (which mostly involved crimping cat cables), but I will be reading the Mike Meyers All-In-One Net+ guide and the newest Cisco 100-101 study guide. My worry is that I may be getting in over my head by skipping the Net+ test. I have no access to the hardware covered on the CCENT but I am pretty good at studying on my own and understanding the concepts involved in most areas of IT.

Is my plan a good one? How much study time would an undertaking like this require (I know that question is subjective and has a lot variables, but just a rough idea)?

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get packet tracer or GNS3 if you don't have real equipment - hands-on experience with IOS commands is critical. The rest of your plans are sound.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are not in over your head CCENT 100-101 covers all the fundamental knowledge you need to know for CCNA. Its a plus that your going to read Net+ because if you Odom's books which are really good so far the first few chapters will go into the fundamentals needed so you don't need to read a Net+ book, but if you want to know about other networking topics CCNA doesn't cover since it is not on the objectives list then read a Net+ book then, and you don't need Physical hardware just like Ivanjam said you can use GNS3 or Packet Tracer Good luck on your journey!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My worry is that I may be getting in over my head by skipping the Net+ test.
    The CCENT/CCNA prepare someone with no experience for entry-level work, so it's unlikely you'll be "in over your head".
    I have no access to the hardware covered on the CCENT
    As Arod says, you'll want hands-on practice. Consider Packet Tracer, Boson Netsim, or GNS3.
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    phdillar, I'm not going to say this can't be done, but I just spent the last 5+ months writing the new CCENT, ICND2 and CCNA R/S composite books (it seems like 5 years!), and I have to say that these are not as of introduction cert as much as they used to be. Just because the CCENT has "Entry" in the title doesn't mean that it is intro as it was in the past. IPv6 static routing and OSPv3, as well as NAT/PAT, extended ACL's, OSPFv2, etc... are all new in the CCENT. Again, I'm not saying it can't be done, but getting a network+ before, or as you mentioned; you can study well alone with A+, Net+ books, which is great, so you're on the right track. If anyone can do it, you can. Please let me know how you do! Todd Lammle
  • LaduLaserLaduLaser Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you saying ISBN 9781118749685 is done now? Got it on my watchlist and am hoping to take the new CCENT before CEH v8 comes out in December :)
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    If you are reading the Net+ book then you are covering the material. Whether you get the cert or not doesn't really matter - it's whether you know the content. I have never done a Net+ (or any + for that matter), but I worked daily with networks for about 6 years, before I got my CCENT so I didn't really feel the need.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would have skipped Net+ knowing what I know now. You are better off working towards a cert that is highly valued and not network+. The only downside is there is going to be a lot to learn initially.
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say that the Net+ is a waste. I'm glad that I did it because it prepared me for the more focused Cisco exam. It's also a fairly easy cert to get and if you are already studying CCENT there is a lot of crossover so you wouldn't have to study much more. If your employer is paying, I'd say get em both.

If it's out of your own pocket, Cisco will probably take you farther. Skip the Net+.