Options

What switch type for CCNA?

ZaapZaap Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I think I’ve seen a post about this before <not sure if its on this forum>, but I need confirmation.

Sybex CCNA, teaches 2 ways to configure VLANs and VTP… one way for a 1900 switch and the other is for a 2950.

E.G
For a 1900 switch, you would use ‘vlan-membership static 4” to assign a port to vlan 4
For a 2950, you would use ‘switchport access vlan3’

At work we use CISCO VoIP, so I’m pretty savvy when it comes to VLans & VTP, but I have only ever configured them on 3550 and 3750 model switches. I have never used the command syntax the 1900 switches use.

Can someone please let me know what switches will be covered in the CCNA?

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 19xx series is outdated so CCNA focuses on 2950 and above.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    ZaapZaap Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the reply.. i have one more question. <sitting the exam in 2 days>
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d84be.html#xtocid10

This link shows that there are two ways to configure VLAN and VTP on a 2950 , one with the global config command and the other witth he Vlan database.
    Can anyone tell me what will we be tested on, and if i get a vlan sim... what mode do i use
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Zaap wrote:
    This link shows that there are two ways to configure VLAN and VTP on a 2950 , one with the global config command and the other witth he Vlan database.
    Can anyone tell me what will we be tested on, and if i get a vlan sim... what mode do i use
    This is something I ran into myself recently as I'm preparing for the BCMSN and writing some material for the exam. I decided to include both (in global config and in vlan database) in the TechNotes and practice questions for the BCMSN exam, but I 'think' for the CCNA you don't need to know the vlan database commands.

Check out this particular section for more information.
  • Options
    TYFTYF Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just gone throgh the exam... It did not test the VLAN database.

It just test on how the configure VTP Clint and domain plus the VLAN 1 with gateway.

I know this.. but still failed in Technology Section.. I not good in it.. Anywhere to find reference for it.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    ^

Maybe for you, but for the next person or next week it might, there is large testbank that it pulls from.

As far as configuring Vlan and VTP, either method is fine, its the end result that you are scored on. You will notice that the SIM will have quite a chunk of simulated IOS in it, some of it isnt there. So if you cant perform via one method due to missing commands in the sims, than you know you need to do it the other way, so better know both.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p