Any IT Managers out there hiring entry level Network Engineers.

BigD5XBigD5X Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have 16 years of IT experience but not hands on Cisco support experience.
Yes I've done rack & stack and some cabling, cut & paste configs on Cisco routers and switches but I don't have that 2 or 3 year hands on experience every job seems to be looking for. And the funny thing is, it's almost to the point where most jobs descriptions are looking for a person with the same qualifications.

In addition to this I do Labs every day just to stay sharp. I use Packet Tracer and Boson Labs.

I've applied to smaller companies and targeting small contracts just so I can get my foot in the door. It seems that, that area is being flooded by people that is trying to break into networking and just getting their CCNAs such as myself. So with that being said, companies are stepping up the qualification requirements and seek more seasoned engineers. Entry level positions do exist but they are far and few between.

I'm pursuing my CCNP to be taken more seriously. Even though the CCNA was no joke. That test was very challenging.

What do you think ?

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm no manager, but it may be easier to start on a helpdesk. Thats what I did and was eventually promoted to a sysadmin who does a lot of Cisco work. I only have CCNA but I use pretty much every bit of the skillset one obtains from it on the job. Plus, I've picked up a lot of CCNP level knowledge (I am working toward this cert too). Next job I get (Which won't be soon) will be an engineer level job.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What exactly is your 16 yrs of IT experience then ? You shouldn't be in the need for an entry-level job.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    What exactly is your 16 yrs of IT experience then ? You shouldn't be in the need for an entry-level job.

That confused me as well. 16 years of experience should not be in the same universe as entry level. Plus, you have 2 CCNAs and are going through the CCNP. What was your experience in for those years?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • BigD5XBigD5X Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello and thanks for the response. My 16 years of experience Desktop/Laptop and Network support. Desktop such as troubleshooting hardware and software issues. Replacement of hard drives, ram, systems boards and swopping out Nic card etc. Hardware and software upgrades & roll-outs, new computer roll-outs, supporting Microsoft Windows and Office suites mainly Outlook. As far as networking I would address any networking or internet connectivity issues, reset passwords, setup users in Active Directory, setup users Outlook mail accounts on the Exchange Server. Troubleshoot network outlets and rewire network cables in the wiring closet. What I don't have is that 2 or 3 years of Cisco experience. Entry level working with or doing some type of level one support on Cisco equipment is what I meant.

I would like to add that the reason I was able to obtain both CCNA (passed ICND1 on 3rd try, ICND2 !st try) and CCNA Voice is because I'm not working right now, and I put in 8 to 12 hours a day studying Monday through Thursday. My wife is a teacher. When she leaves for work in the morning I hit the books. I could be wrong but I got more Cisco study material than anybody I know. E-g, all updated CBT Nuggets CCNA & CCNA Voice videos, all CBT CCNP videos, Trainsignal CCNA and CCNP videos, INE CCNA Voice and CCNP videos, Todd Lammle press CCNA video and books, Cisco press CCNA & CCNP video mentor and books. For hands on, I try to do a least 2 to 3 hours of labs everyday. I use Packet tracer and Boson. I practice on the 101 challenging labs from ##########s.net ( Awesome site) I have live equipment, two 3550 switches and one 3560 switch and use GNS3 for routers.

One Thing I would have to admit, having a CCNA will get employers and recruiters attention. My email is flooded with at least 7 jobs a day. Most way over my head. But from reading many different post on this site, I should apply to them anyway and I will.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You ought to try to get a NOC job in the area. It's night work, but it will help you head in the right direction.
  • BigD5XBigD5X Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx Veritas, I notice you're in Greenville also. Seems that the company Windstream is the only company thats thats hiring down here doing Cisco work.
    I've interviewed at Windstream 7 different times with 7 different mangers 3 positions they say I was over qualified for, 3 other positions I didn't quite have enough experience, and one I was good for but they decided to hire within.

And unfortunately I have a background issue from 2007. I know my chances are slim to none but I have nothing to loose. Hopefully someone will give me that second chance. Studying for these Cisco certs is the only thing that keeps me going.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    What about Charter internet (unless they got bought out) ? They have a NOC center in their building off 85.

Check around Anderson / Clemson also. I know it is a small drive but not too bad and lots of corporations around there.
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    !Im not a hiring manger!

If your willing to move to either Raleigh area or southern VA, and can pass a security clearance up to TS, then we have two openings on our Network Team at a data center. PM if you want more info.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.