Options

What was the worst network like that you inherited when starting a new gig?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Curious about what some of you veterans will respond with. For instance, have you ever started a job working on a network where the former engineer used static routing exclusively for no reason?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work for an MSP, and we've stepped into some interesting situations to say the least. Some due to the lack of real IT, some due to incompetent IT providers, some due to malicious IT providers.

One network had 4 different linksys routers in parallel. PC's used one as their gateway, phones used another, the SBS2003 box used a third, and I don't remember what the 4th was doing. The guy we took over for couldn't get everything going out on different public IP's any other way. And I still hear about how smart he was with his PhD is computer science.

Another one had a part time IT guy who stopped in once or twice a week. He had this elaborate system of virtual machines on a couple of ESXi servers. Failover meant that he would come running in and start up the backup VM, and this would happen every couple weeks because both physical servers had overheating problems and needed to be hard reset. All in all, there were 14 servers for a site with 6 users.

The third one I'll mention isn't really a client, they just call us out when the cheaper company fails because we're always just trying to sell them stuff in their opinion. They lose a switch every year or two, but won't listen when we tell them they need a UPS or at least a good surge protector. The old switches that don't work are still in the rack, powered on. New switches are piled on top of the rack because it's full. There are routers stacked on a table running with a single Ethernet cable coming out and just hanging down. I usually get involved when they guy that brings out a new switch can't figure out how to copy the config out of the old one and can't figure out "how to turn on PoE on this thing." They'll pay for a couple hours of service just to get their phones working again, and "please don't try to sell us anything this time."
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My current job no backups, no redundancy or disaster recovery is in place. No in house administrator external third party support who are useless. They just do not seem to recognise the importance of this basic stuff it really annoys me.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Several hundred VLAN's, each with ~10 hosts on them...like someone went crazy with their CCENT /24 chapter
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Several hundred VLAN's, each with ~10 hosts on them...like someone went crazy with their CCENT /24 chapter

A single Vlan with all 8,000 publice Ip address the company owned assigned to it, and no they didnt use private IP address space either. And not a single real bit of redundancy. (and thats not evening getting to the server side of things!)

Like some one never even got there CCENT! :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.