CISA DEC 2013-Suggestion Needed

ramblingroseramblingrose Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Team,

I have information security consulting experience(3 Yrs). And i am planning to take CISA in December 2013. The early registration ends by August 27th and i am still worried as to 'will i be able to clear the exam '. My experience is mostly in the secure SDLC , vulnerability assessment and security consulting( not in IS auditing ) . Last year i completed my Security + cert. i could like to become a IS auditor in future and i felt giving CISA will help to begin with.So guys, please advice me as to how long will it take to prepare and is it a right decision to take the exam in December ( by that time my exp will be yrs( 3 yrs in Info sec ) ?Awaiting your reply icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Stan LeeStan Lee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Team,

I have information security consulting experience(3 Yrs). And i am planning to take CISA in December 2013. The early registration ends by August 27th and i am still worried as to 'will i be able to clear the exam '. My experience is mostly in the secure SDLC , vulnerability assessment and security consulting( not in IS auditing ) . Last year i completed my Security + cert. i could like to become a IS auditor in future and i felt giving CISA will help to begin with.So guys, please advice me as to how long will it take to prepare and is it a right decision to take the exam in December ( by that time my exp will be yrs( 3 yrs in Info sec ) ?Awaiting your reply icon_confused.gif:

Hi, going for CISA is a good choice. It is still 5 months away so, I think you will have enough time to study for the exam. I have a colleague who will also be taking the CISA exam in December.
  • ramblingroseramblingrose Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stan ,

Thanks for your reply. :) It was encouraging.
  • DcmvDcmv Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also taking the exam in Dec
  • packetlogpacketlog Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Rambling Rose,
    I think there is enough time for you. Be sure to go though CRM and CPQ database.

Good luck,
    pkt
  • ramblingroseramblingrose Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So you mean to say, in spite of not having prior experience in ID auditing , i can still pass the exam with sufficient amount of preparation ?
  • packetlogpacketlog Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many IT people taking the CISA exam have no auditing experience. Of course, you will have to learn the basics of auditing and IS auditing in particular, and get into the mind of an auditor to understand the implications of a question, but it's not that hard.

You will have a great time and you are going to pass it.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    So you mean to say, in spite of not having prior experience in IT auditing , i can still pass the exam with sufficient amount of preparation ?

Unfortunately (or fortunately for some?), I think just about EVERY certification exam can be passed with sufficient preparation and no industry experience. It is difficult to test for "experience".
  • Stan LeeStan Lee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Unfortunately (or fortunately for some?), I think just about EVERY certification exam can be passed with sufficient preparation and no industry experience. It is difficult to test for "experience".

It's a good thing though going for a certification/exam because you are studying and learning while preparing for the BIG day so, when you finally get into an IT auditing job (for the CISA track), you will at least have the theoretical knowledge and build upon it to acquire the actual experience.
  • andhowandhow Member Posts: 151
    Stan Lee wrote: »
    It's a good thing though going for a certification/exam because you are studying and learning while preparing for the BIG day so, when you finally get into an IT auditing job (for the CISA track), you will at least have the theoretical knowledge and build upon it to acquire the actual experience.

Well said! I can't tell you how helpful the studying process was for me. It helped reinforce what I was already learning from my peers and kept me grounded in the universal audit and security principles.