Options

Starting AAS IN VMWare @ Baker College

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have not seen much attention paid to this specific program online anywhere, so i thought id answer any questions anyone might have if your thinking about attending Baker for this program. I unfortunately cant get into too much detail yet as i just started (will be starting), but i can offer my experience signing up, course contents, school setup, etc...

AFAIK its only offered on campus in Auburn Hills, but who knows it could go online sooner or later.

Also im excited to be enrolled in it PERIOD! Should be a nice start to a IT career.

Program details:
https://carina.baker.edu/MSTSTPO?DLV=U&LOCNO=20006&DIV=CIS&DEG=AAS&CON=VCP&CVER=2013A&VER=2013A&DIVTTL=Associate%20of%20Applied%20Science%20Degree&PGMTTL=VMware%20Certified%20Professional&PGMTTL1=&OFRTTL=THIS%20PROGRAM%20IS%20OFFERED%20AT%20THE%20FOLLOWING%20BAKER%20COLLEGE%20CAMPUS%20SITE%3A&CMPOFR=Auburn%20Hills&DEPT=ACD

Something i thought was nice, and also why i choose an AAS over a BS is that 90% of this program will count towards the BS in IT and info sec if you select the Info Assurance Major. Literally, i will only take two classes that wont count towards the BS. So when i finish this AAS, ill be able to sit for the VCP and ill be over half way through the BS.

Comments

• Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Arent they just going to rehash the stuff you could be teaching yourself? Maybe I am just a cheapskate, but why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I started at Baker online before I found WGU. I would not do Baker online now for any cert or class. At Baker you have to chat on forums twice a day 5 days a week and that was a horrible experience.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    Arent they just going to rehash the stuff you could be teaching yourself? Maybe I am just a cheapskate, but why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Yes im certain most of this could be learned on your own, but having the degree should help get my resume looked at. Also VMWare requires that the class be delivered through a authorized VMWare educator (or something like that).

For me, it works well. I want to get a BS and this is a tiny detour on my way to accomplishing that. It may not be for everyone though, i already graduated from Baker so all the pre-reqs are done and im jumping right into the meat of the program.

The participation requirement is a pain, but it only takes 5-10 minutes.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    A degree in VMware? Not that I feel they will, but I hope they never go anywhere because that's gonna be a worthless degree if so. Do what you want to do but it seems you could just take the course like others are taking on the cheaper, and get an AAS in something more worthwhile.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    A degree in VMware? Not that I feel they will, but I hope they never go anywhere because that's gonna be a worthless degree if so. Do what you want to do but it seems you could just take the course like others are taking on the cheaper, and get an AAS in something more worthwhile.

Really the difference between this AAS and say, an AAS in web development or programming is 4 classes and 5 classes respectivly.

I do agree though, in the long run any AAS as specific as this is not good (like the AAS in Novelle stuff). But as a quick way to get in the door somewhere, while working towards a larger goal (the BS) i think its a good route.

Ill be the first to admit, i think to be successful in IT you need to wear many hats and wear them well. This is just one hat.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Taking the VMware authorized class and getting the VCP using one of the cheaper methods located in threads on this forum, and a degree that focuses on networking would be a solid approach and one that wouldn't be constrained by a vendor. It would also fulfill your 'many hats and wear them well' qualification. Just my $0.02. GL
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    Taking the VMware authorized class and getting the VCP using one of the cheaper methods located in threads on this forum, and a degree that focuses on networking would be a solid approach and one that wouldn't be constrained by a vendor. It would also fulfill your 'many hats and wear them well' qualification. Just my $0.02. GL

I understand that logic, and i do appreciate your input since you are obviously much more seasoned in this than I am. But this is the way i want to go with it.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I know a lot of people that can't do self-learn so I glad this program works for the OP. Does Baker actually refer to the degree as an AAS in VMware? Gotta say that sounds weird as hell.
  • Options
    Yes they do, and yes I agree. I think the VCP will carry more weight than the AAS. I would not advocate someone working towards the AAS in VMWare as an endgame.

And yes, thank you for articulating what i could not. I try hard, very hard to be "self taught" but i definitely learn better and quicker in a class room environment. I know, "classroom" online? But there is an environment that exists there, that does not exist when I work on my own towards a cert.

I think its the structured work/assignment/reading schedule, but im not 100% certain. I will have a better idea in December when the first semester ends. Maybe I will be able to integrate some of what i learn from that into my own self studies.

edit:
    Proof of weirdness
    3523yoo.png