Can CCNA be obtain in two months?...

itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
Hi everyone, can the CCNA be optain in two months? If so, how much time per day do I need to study for it and what would be best recommended tools to use?

What I currently own:
1. 4x Cisco 2950 switches with SFP and multi-mode fiber to do trunking
2. CCNA ICND1 & ICND2 by Cisco Press
3. CCNA Flash Cards & CCNA Command Quick Reference
4. Packet Tracer 5.3
5. CBT Nugger CCENT Video

History & Experience:
That's about it be side that I currently work as a Cell Technician with RF and network related devices at cell towers, but before that I worked for an ISP working with multiple network devices for business. I just obtain my Associates Applied Science of Network System Administrator degree from Devry University and I am 10 classes away to obtaining my B.S in Network and Communication Management by Devry University.

Conclusion:
My goal is to obtain my CCNA before they do the major changes to the exam by September 30th 2013. I just need to know how much study, and what main tools to focus so I don't waste time to better prepare myself for it. This is going to be a one shot deal and hope I can have my CCNA by then.

Network Administrator
:

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT

Comments

• IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2 switches are fine , and just trunk with fastethernet ports. You have enough material to study. Honestly I'd advise against starting just now to study for the old exams, then again it's your choice. It can be done in 2 months, but that is on the very fast side. It will depend on how quickly you can learn the material. For me it would take around 25 hrs a week to do a full CCNA in 2 months, supposing I started with no networking knowledge.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2 months is going to be quite hard. For comparison I have the first half the CCNA done and two months is pushing it for me. Unless you have some prior knowledge working with Cisco equipment it's going to be very hard and not feasible if you are also working on top of that.

The items you are have are more than enough to pass the CCNA and hardware isn't really that important. You will need a router too by the way if you plan on creating a home lab.

I would just study for the new editions of the exams if I were you. This way you won't have to cram and you could learn at much more relaxed pace. Regardless of what you do good luck.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Can CCNA be retained in two months?
    Can CCNA be retained in two months?

No CCNA can be retained if you don't follow up with review and more study. It's not like riding a bike, and taking your sweet time is a false sense of retention. What's making you retain, is the fact that you're still studying. So sure, it can be done, whether he experiences skill fade will depend on his follow up studies.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you do it? Probably, if you make a schedule, stick to it, and put in a couple hours study each night. In support of this, I passed my CCNA the first time in two weeks. Also, see "CCNA in 60 Days" for a popular and ready-made schedule.
    No CCNA can be retained if you don't follow up with review and more study.
    Very true. I followed up my CCNA by obtaining a job that helped me apply and reinforce that knowledge.

Should you do it? One concern I have is that you're studying older / less relevant material. In interviews, your technical knowledge will be weaker than others. That's because many have switched over to tackling the more up-to-date exam, and many who tackled the older exam already have some work experience to strengthen their arsenal.

If you're making your own schedule, given the limited time, I'd focus on--

2. CCNA ICND1 & ICND2 by Cisco Press
    4. Packet Tracer 5.3

I would only turn to auxiliary materials when you're stumped or ahead of schedule.
    Very true. I followed up my CCNA by obtaining a job that helped me apply and reinforce that knowledge.

Should you do it? One concern I have is that you're studying older / less relevant material. In interviews, your technical knowledge will be weaker than others. That's because many have switched over to tackling the more up-to-date exam, and many who tackled the older exam already have some work experience to strengthen their arsenal.

Completely agree. Exact reason why I'll be reviewing and learning with the new material that's out for the revised CCNA, even though I'm testing on the older ones.
  • itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    Thanks guys for info. I have worked round many cisco network devices specially when I was with the ISP company and worked with Head-end equipment. But the reason I was going to shoot for the old exam was, because I already have the materials for it. Since major changes will happen to the exam. I will have to get new stuff to reflect the changes of the new exam. Which will then end up costing me more money.

Won't you agree?

However I do agree taking your time learning the stuff and building a lap to study with would be idea. I would need at least 3 router's to add to my collection and a lot of hour trying different things. Most recent cisco switches I had worked with are the Cisco ME 3600X Series and Cisco ME 3400E Series. I no longer have those to play with, but I did spend a good amount of time working with them before.

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 to what NetVet has already said. It's doable, but it takes time, dedication, and drive. Everyone's situation is different, so it's difficult to give a concrete 'YES' or 'NO' answer. It looks like you have a decent set of materials (I'd recommend getting 2x physical routers, even though you have packet tracer). As mentioned, CCNA in 60 Days is a great resource. I just completed the 60-day program and it worked quite well.

best of luck!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on where you're starting from. From zero would be very difficult. If you already have a background in networking it is doable. For example, a large chunk of the ICND1 is TCP/IP, OSI Model, and Subnetting. If you come in with a firm understanding of these you have alot less new stuff to learn. If you've used IOS before the learning curve is even less.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BTW, Cisco isn't exactly reinventing the wheel with their new exams. Other than dropping Wireless, SDM and RIP from the new exams, most of the changes seem to involve moving ICND2 material (OSPF, ACLs, etc...) to the ICND1 and adding more IPv6 (and a few new topics (High Availability, Syslog, and Licensing). If you don't make the deadline it won't be like you have to start over. Just learn a few additional things.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • GawnGawn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question to itangel..which program did you decide to do with western governors??
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you mean, did he actually get his CCNA in two months. icon_wink.gif