Options

Not able to resolve DNS in vmware

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Hi all,

I have a lab setup at home, i'm trying to connect my 2008r2 server thats in a vmware out to the internet

I have my gateway as 192.168.1.1, this should be my forwarder right? What should be my dns server on my DC 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.206 (ip of domain controller, or 127.0.0.1?)?

This is in vmware workstation, so if this should be posted somewhere else please move

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check that you've set up your networking correctly, ping the gateway, check firewalls, etc.
  • Options
    cannot ping to default gateway, firewall is turned off..., how can i fix this? before I had a win7 client setup I was able to setup the forwarder just fine (i swear!!)
  • Options
    On your VM settings for the VM, check the network configuration. Is it set to "Bridged" (hint hint), NAT, Host-only, or custom?
  • Options
    no... why would it need to be set to bridged?

Can i not use nat to connect to the internet?
  • Options
    You can but then you've still got to deal with the host's firewalls.
  • Options
    It seems to work w/ that, thank you

So whats the benefit of bridged?
  • Options
    So that was able to work - do I do that same for my other servers and clients as bridged?
  • Options
    Off the top of my head (and with poor memory) one is using a LAN IP, the other is using NAT on the host (which has its own set of issues as you discovered).

If it works, do it. Then try to understand why it worked and further your knowledge that way. I've only tinkered with VMware and am by no means an expert.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bridged mode simply means that the Virtual Machine is going to reside on the same network segment as your host and communicating over your hosts Network Adapter.

NAT is more secure and the way it works is that the virtual machines that are NAT'ed will be on their own private network and will use your host's Network Adapter to pass traffic along to the outside. It is often more complicated to configuring NAT than Bridged mode.

In any case, you're better of just using bridged mode in a VM lab. That's option should also be the default if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    bridged mode is much easier to configure things, especially w/ DNS, still cannot connect my exchange server, but I was able to get my DNS records setup :)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheProf wrote: »
    NAT is more secure and the way it works is that the virtual machines that are NAT'ed will be on their own private network and will use your host's Network Adapter to pass traffic along to the outside. It is often more complicated to configuring NAT than Bridged mode.

Especially since you need to configure port forwarding for all funky ports :)

Re DNS : DNS on the NAT Network
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p