Options

2511 Dead

carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
A moment of silence please for my 2511. It has passed on to that great router place in the sky.

Now I am at a crossroads. Build a GNS3 computer with real switches or buy a new access server and upgrade my 3460s to 1841. I feel like I am starting from scratch now. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DigiCM32 is a cheaper alternative to the 2511 in case you are interested.
  • Options
    colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RIP Old trusty 2511!

I've owned a 2511 (overpriced junk IMO..the only reason they're worth so much is us CCIE candidates!), and have a Digi CM 32 now. The Digi CM cost me $45 on ebay, and has outlasted the 2511 (understandably..), and uses regular RJ45, which is a nice thing.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Amazing how much 2511s are still going for on ebay. In the last 6 months we probably threw away (electronic recycling) about 20-30 2511s and 2600 terminal servers. If I was only allowed to sell them on ebay I'd be a rich man. :D I held on to a few for myself. ;)

My condolences on your loss.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    I have been looking at the DigiCMs. How hard are they to configure?
  • Options
    carterw65 wrote: »
    I have been looking at the DigiCMs. How hard are they to configure?

Can configure them via GUI in about 15 minutes (that's from powering it on, to getting a device to work). It's really just a matter of figuring out how to access the web interface. From there you just set the line authentication settings (if desired) and stuff like that. Pretty easy.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good deal. I am waiting on a shipping quote and then I will buy one. Then start upgrading the old equipment. I hope 5.0 doesn't happen soon!
  • Options
    It took me longer to rack my digi then it took to configure :) There are a lot of options with it that aren't really necessary. It's also nice that you can use straight through cables to connect to the console of all your devices.
  • Options
    carterw65 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good deal. I am waiting on a shipping quote and then I will buy one. Then start upgrading the old equipment. I hope 5.0 doesn't happen soon!

I suspect once 5.0 comes we will all have no purpose to own real gear. I don't think that means we SHOULDN'T own gear, but VIRL will replace an entire rack, and it sounds like it may even be used for the config portion of the lab (a variant is already used on the TS section).
  • Options
    I just bought a Digi CM32 and also scored two 2811s for $82 a piece!
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I suspect once 5.0 comes we will all have no purpose to own real gear. I don't think that means we SHOULDN'T own gear, but VIRL will replace an entire rack, and it sounds like it may even be used for the config portion of the lab (a variant is already used on the TS section).
    I am really excited about VIRL. Especially since I want to go the data center route and having Nexus equipment is obviously not an option lol
  • Options
    Yes indeed, VIRL looks pretty cool, like GNS3 on steroids. I wonder when they will release it?
  • Options
    Seems very possible it'll be within 12 months. Brian Dennis from INE seemed to think that the release of VIRL would coincide with v5.0 of the lab exam, so it could be sooner.

FloOz- Same here. I have access to DC stuff but really want to learn more service provider stuff, and I think for that, VIRL would replace my entire rack permanently. Can't wait!
  • Options
    Yah at my current job we are actually putting in a whole new data center which pretty much consists of all Nexus gear. So I have 6 months of "play" testing to do. So I feel lucky that I get a chance to play around with VDCs, vPCs, etc. It's actually a ton of fun! It actually feels like I got bit by the networking bug again except this time its data center! :)