Options

Cisco Alias Command

Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
Hello all...I decided to put this here since it applies to all Cisco, not just one cert.

In trying to speed my configurations up, I started using a new command (new to me..I would type out the command or do tab complete). Some of you may already be using it....and if you are, I would keep doing so. It has really helped me out....I wish I would have started using it earlier.

The alias command..I am not sure if it will work on the older IOS that some of you run on your 2500 series routers...I will check. But, I know it works on the newer stuff.

Router# alias <level> 'alias name' 'command'

example:
Router# alias exec sir show ip route

so now when in exec mode, if I type 'sir' it does the show ip route command.

others that I have been using:

alias exec cc copy run start
alias exec sii sh ip int brief
alias exec sir sh ip route
alias exec cir clear ip route *
alias exec crs copy run start

So, those of you wanting to go for the IE later.....time is your enemy! Any trick that helps you effectively shave time off the configs, is a good thing.

Kenny
Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA

Comments

• Options
    darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    example:

That's like making the Cisco IOS similar to UNIX.

Good one though, kenny, thanks for sharing...
    321hahaha.jpg
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yeah thanks for sharing Kenny.
    I decided to put this here since it applies to all Cisco, not just one cert.
    I'll move it to the CCNA forum and leave a shadow copy in this (general cert) forum.
  • Options
    sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    thanks Ten9t6 for such a nice tip icon_thumright.gif

When i got my free copy of CBT training videos then i was preparing for CCNA but just out of curosity i looked at the training video for CCIE and i found the same tip in that video although i was not so concerned about it... but in later certifications it would prove useful (as u said :) ) coz of time factor may be!

a stupid Q for Ten9T6

after having the following certificates what sort of job do u have? just below Cisco boss? ;) it wud take me years icon_eek.gif

CISSP, SSCP, CEH, MCSE:Security, CWNA, ACS, CTP, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, CIWSA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE R&S / Security Written, JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-M
    :santa:
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkmagic wrote:
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    example:

That's like making the Cisco IOS similar to UNIX.

Good one though, kenny, thanks for sharing...

that's closer than you ever could imagine since the ios source is close to unix source in many respects.
    there IS gnu source in there.
    since most unix source is gnu a large base of reuseable code is already written. the difference is the proprietary stuff .... icon_twisted.gif
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    thanks Ten9t6 for such a nice tip icon_thumright.gif

When i got my free copy of CBT training videos then i was preparing for CCNA but just out of curosity i looked at the training video for CCIE and i found the same tip in that video although i was not so concerned about it... but in later certifications it would prove useful (as u said :) ) coz of time factor may be!

a stupid Q for Ten9T6

after having the following certificates what sort of job do u have? just below Cisco boss? ;) it wud take me years icon_eek.gif

CISSP, SSCP, CEH, MCSE:Security, CWNA, ACS, CTP, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, CIWSA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE R&S / Security Written, JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-M

haha..I work for a large communications company. My group handles all aspects of customers voice and data networks....to include security. :D

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    silver_225silver_225 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good stuff. Definitely, nice to know.
  • Options
    blork_98blork_98 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cool command...................

hey mr. tent96........... when u say communications company do u mean a provider like sprint or a company like qualcomm or motorola? cuz im sorta tryin to find an entry level job in Digi/Wireless Comm.... so im just tryin to find out as much companies to send my res too.. thnx, he he