Options

Where to go after Security+? Need some clarity

RithMikRithMik Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there. I'll be taking my Security+ exam in a about a month, and was hoping someone could provide me with some input on where to go next. I currently have A+, as well, but my interests have always 100% had to with information security. More specifically, I'd like to analyze compromised systems and offer a solution, or monitor potential break-ins as they occur. I have some free time for about 2 months, so studying sounds great. Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    E|CIH or other incident response-type certifications may be what you're looking for, that's what I would probably recommend based on what you've said.

GCIH is probably a more respected option, but if my memory serves, GIAC exam attempts are ridiculously priced if you self-study (~$1000). I will never bother with one and will never recommend anyone else cater to their impudent, greedy business model.

EDIT: Obligatory "Welcome to TE", and you're intending to self-study, right?
  • Options
    n8236n8236 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have any job experience? If so, what do you do? Do you have a lab at home? What other infosec books do you read?

These are very important questions because it tells others how immersed you are with the topic.
  • Options
    Ah, thank you for the welcome! As far as experience, I really don't have any under an employer, so obviously that already is a huge strike against me; however, I do have friends who are extremely disciplined with their certification-studying who do quite well for themselves, some even without college degrees, so that has been a motivating factor in and of itself.

I've been sort of obsessed with the way digital information moves, is exploited, and is secured for quite a few years, but only recently have begun to REALLY study. Right now I'm reading Darril Gibson's Security+ book, and "Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols and Architecture." I've also spent a lot of time with "BackTrack5 Wireless Penetration Testing for Beginners," which is something I found incredibly interesting.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums RithMik.

Many people consider the CISSP to be a premier security certification and pursue the SSCP as a stepping stone on the path to the CISSP after the Security+. The C|EH certification is more technical in nature and might be more of what you're looking for.
  • Options
    Thanks so much! I loved your book =)
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588