Options

R&S QoS

sea_turtlesea_turtle Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I am currently getting roughed up pretty bad by QoS in INE Vol1. Does anyone happen to have a good resource (maybe a one page pdf similar to how packetlife displays their "**** sheets") for trying to break down the nuances of how to decipher what im being asked in a task and also how to differentiate in my head all the differences?

just as an example: "shape peak" vs "shape average" and the wording of the task that would lead you to use one vs the other.

Also 3550/3560 QoS, understanding the limitations and capabilities of the MQC QoS on switches and of course SRR/WRR.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Either the QoS SRND or the qos book from e old CCIP /CCVP tracks. For the switches, read the config guide.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Another vote for the QoS book - 642-642. It is primarily geared towards the old CCVP but is a good resource for anyone interested in QoS
  • Options
    you guys talking about the DQoS book, End to End QoS book or the Odom one?

I plan on getting the non Cisco QoS book to help fill in some gaps as well.
  • Options
    The exam cert guide to by Odom. End to end sucks IMO
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Could just use the DocCD? /shrug.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 for Odom's QOS Exam Certification Guide. I don't love the book, but it covers what's needed.

For general concepts, I enjoyed "QOS-Enabled Networks: Tools and Foundations."
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone, the reason im not using the DOC-CD for some things is because its just very very very scarce; WRR/SRR etc. And for other things i was trying to put together how the question's are worded and what im supposed to be picking up on with my approach to solving the problem in practice labs.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the cert guide is cool
    this can help also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UJZBeK_JCs
    i'm glad i looked this up i needed a refresher myself ..lol
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    sea_turtle wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info everyone, the reason im not using the DOC-CD for some things is because its just very very very scarce; WRR/SRR etc. And for other things i was trying to put together how the question's are worded and what im supposed to be picking up on with my approach to solving the problem in practice labs.

I don't know if you'll find a single piece of material that covers both srr and wrr. T0he cert guide covers wrr, because that is what was supported on 3550s. 3560 and 3570 use srr, so you still need to read the doccd. Also, you'll only find hierarchical vlan-based policies in the doccd. Basically, books are good to explain things... But it comes down to the fact that the lab can test you on anything a router or switch can do. The only way to pass is to read the manual.

If you just need explanations of the concepts for a good base, read Odom 's book.. But read the config guides after.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with powmia. QoS is one of those things that implementation on different hardware and softare changes a lot. I like the Odom book for the theory parts but you really need to get down in the config guides to know the exact implementation for what you are working on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out the INE Videos on QOS, i think they have a "ccnp" level series for it. Its good to see things little more graphically than the books offer and makes the jig-saw whole =]