Options

Dell XPS-12

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have been anxiously awaiting the general shipment of Dell's new convertible ultrabook that includes the Haswell processor. Looks like it ships on the 15th of August.

For those that have the previous version, how do you like it? I was wondering how much abuse the hindged display could take. I probably will use the device in tablet mode very often as well - how comfortable is it to use as a tablet? At a little over 3lbs, I was wondering about its comfort for extended e-book reading.

Comments

• Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I really like it. I don't baby it, but I don't toss it around either. As a tablet, it is great for sitting on the couch watching videos and for sitting in a meeting when you aren't at the table. I thought I would use it more for reading, but it just isn't very comfortable for reading.

What I like best is the versatility, it is small, so I don't mind carrying it around, and converting it into a tablet is very convenient for when you need to run to the data center but don't want to lose your connection or put the computer to sleep.

The wait for mine was killing me as well.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it looks cool but after my last two Dell laptops I can't get myself to even risk giving them more of my money.
  • Options
    @nerdydad - Thanks for the response. That's good to know. It seems that everytime I check the Dell website, the ship date moves out by a day or two.

@tpatt100 - by risky - are you saying that it's poor quality? I have a few older Dell laptops and servers and they seem pretty solid. Thanks.

If anyone else has opinions on ultrabook convertibles, I would enjoy hearing your opinion.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have had three models of XPS from Dell over the years. My first was great but then after that it went downhill. One I had premier support and they kept having to send a tech to my house to replace a part, one time they replaced a part with a bad part so the tech had to come back out when I called back with a new problem. The second XPS laptop had thermal issues and would run really hot, Dell knew about this issue and quickly dumped the model into their clearance section. I gave up trying to get a new one since it took me all day on the phone with tech support.

Dell slaps the XPS label on everything now it seems for their top hardware line I guess. They keep changing hardware styles so much that I am afraid to give them a shot again.
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    The older Dell equipment, especially in their business line was rock solid. You pretty much could not kill one of their machines. The newer stuff, however, never lasts long. Out of all the brands of stuff I've ever had to fix, Dell was the most that were broken for something stupid. My wife's laptop went though a screen, a hard drive, and then a complete replacement after the tech that replaced the hard drive fried the motherboard. I'd stay away.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    Thanks for the warning about the Dell quality. I don't see any other manufacturers that are offering Ultrabook convertibles though with similar spec. The next closest is the Samsung Activ Q - but that's not shipping yet either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Haswell-based ultrabook convertible?
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I know Sony and Lenovo both have convertible ultrabooks in Haswell. I'd choose Lenovo over Sony, but either should be fine. Never had to fix many of either.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another option is a hybrid, like Thinkpad Helix from Lenovo. I'm sure there are other hybrids out there as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip on the Helix. I must have missed that when I was looking at Lenovo ultrabook convertibles. The Helix looks to be exactly the form-factor that I want but Lenovo doesn't have a Haswell version. I don't mind paying the premium on Lenovo but alas they don't have the specs that I was hoping for. Similarly, the Sony ultrabook isn't shipping with Haswell in the US yet. From what I can tell the Dell XPS12 is my only option for a Haswell ultrabook convertible in the US. And since its a $100 off sale this weekend, I think I will give it a whirl. Thanks everyone for their input. I will post a review if anyone is interested when I get it.