Options

I CANT FIND A JOB IN NETWORKING! HELP ME!

CISCO2CISCO2 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
i am a graduate from a tech school with a diploma as a network administrator, i have my a+ and currently going for my MCSE. Now all the courses i have taken at this tech school known as CDI are A+, WINDOWS XP, WINDOWS PRO, WINDOWS ADVANCED SERVER, WINDOWS NT 4.0, NETWORK+, DOS, TCP/IP concepts, IMPLEMENTING WINDOWS 2000 NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE, DESIGNING WINDOWS 2000 NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE

Thats all that i have under my belt right now, and i cant find a job anywhere in the networking field. I am from Canada, a province known as British Columbia, and man the IT industry is dead, and every company that is hiring wants 3 years experience or a computer science degree. I spent so much money in this tech school, is a diploma enough to get a good paying job in networking? i need help from some of you guys, what did you do to get into a good career in network administration? or any good computer job, and of you guys have just diplomas and got good paying jobs? help me, i am so stressed out i cant find a job! everybody wants experience, but where does a guy who just graduates with a diploma go! do i have the skills to get payed good?

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club my friend icon_confused.gif

Unfortunately the IT sector is in bad shape worldwide and I am thinking that it may be a while before things start to improve. Locally I am seeing jobs for help desk that are requiring MCSE (overkill) and 3 years minimum industry experience (duh). My thought is that anyone with MCSE and 3 years experience would have to be pretty desperate to work a help desk, but unfortunately here as in many other places worldwide we have a large number of immigrants that will do just about anything for a job.

I wish I did have a way of assisting, but all I can do my friend is suggest that you take anything you can get in the industry (such as helpdesk or even sales) and try to find some other way of obtaining experience. Perhaps volunteering at a church or community group will enable you to get at least something on board and I do remember a friend in California who was offered a job by one of the congregation after his work was recognized.
    Myself, I have just applied for a position doing copy machine repairs for the local Ricoh place. Hopefully I will make contacts that will assist me in finding a network admin position at a later date.

best of luck :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i think it is the same the world over. recently i tried to apply for a couple of jobs that only required one year's experience (which i have), and college or university education (which i don't), with no mention of certs.

of course i wasn't even shortlisted, but was grateful that i got letters back implying it was my lack of education.
    A+ Moderator