CCNA lab

CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Quick post, looking at setting up a small lab which I guess will grow in time. Tried sims but I prefer to be hands on. How does the following look or sound?

1 x 1760 router (says no serial interface)
2 x 2950-24 switches
1 x 1721 router

would anybody go with this or should I rethink? I know a lot of people say sims are good, and they are, but if I'm looking to progress further I might as well start buying the kit now and add when needed.

Cheers all.
2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would add one more switch a 3550 emi or 3560 and you will need a serial interface card as well.
  • CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi DCD, thanks for the reply. Ooooph, the 3550 EMI costs almost as much as the whole kit I have listed above on eBay in the UK. Out of curiosity, why should I add it? If it's seriously needed then I will just have to bite the bullet and invest.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Three switches are much easier to work STP labs with. I'd also go for another router or two and some serial connections for your routing labs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Hi networker050184 - getting quite pricey now, but guessing all the equipment will still be relevant for future studies. ROI springs to mind, Return On Investment icon_smile.gif
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 3550 or 3560 is not really required at the CCNA level. But, you WILL need two (1 x 3550 + 1 x 3560 or 2 x 3560) if you continue on to CCNP. For the CCNA Level, the 2950 is fine. Though, I would pick up a third 2950 or better yet a 2960.

CCNA:

3 Routers: 1751, 1760, 2600XM Series, or ISR (1841, 2800 Series) w/ 12.4T Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise
    3 Switches: As long as it runs IOS and not CatOS, it's fine. If you see "set-based" anywhere in the description - avoid. I would also probably avoid the 1900 series altogether.

CCNP:

4 Routers: At Least 1 ISR - 1841, 2801, 2811, 2821, etc...Possibly more.
    2 Layer 3 Switches: Catalyst 3550-EMI and Catalyst 3560-EMI. The latter is required to do PVLANs.
    2 Layer 2 Switches: Catalyst 2960

NOTE: You can download the EMI Image for the 3550 from Cisco [allowing you to buy an SMI Switch and upgrade it to EMI], but they require a service contract to get the EMI Image for the 3560.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    @theodoxa thank you for your comment. I will be trawling through eBayUK as soon as I get home icon_smile.gif
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CDRichards wrote: »
    Hi DCD, thanks for the reply. Ooooph, the 3550 EMI costs almost as much as the whole kit I have listed above on eBay in the UK. Out of curiosity, why should I add it? If it's seriously needed then I will just have to bite the bullet and invest.

If thinking of taking the CCNP you'll need a layer 3 switch. But you need a 3rd switch to effectively do Root Bridging, PVSTP, STP. And later on SVI's.
    Lol DCD, as soon as I get to PVSTP, STP etc in the books I'll better understand what you mean icon_wink.gif but I do envisage that I'll be continuing further down the Cisco certification route so it looks like a sound investment. Thank you for explaining, I now have homework to do to understand.