Cybersecurity Pros in High Demand, Highly Paid and Highly Selective

Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
Code of honor and sticking with employers for the long term was interesting. Also, the fact compensation was not rated high in the survey. Cybersecurity Pros in High Demand, Highly Paid and Highly Selective - CIO.com

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Alternatively, the NSA Decides to lay off 90% of it's System Admins, which undoubtedly need some sort of high level cert (CISSP, CISM) plus experience, so the competition may be up a notch.
    NSA director

Also did they just seriously make up a cert? What is the CCNIP?
  • aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□

Also did they just seriously make up a cert? What is the CCNIP?

Looks like they just messed up their abbreviation for Cisco Certified Network Professional Security.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Asked to name the company they would most like to work for, respondents ranked Google at the top, followed by the federal government, self-employment and Cisco. Respondents cited Symantec-Norton, IBM, McAfee and Cisco as industry leaders in cybersecurity.

Finally, the survey shed some light on the educational profile of the cybersecurity workforce. Eight-five percent of respondents said that they hold a professional certification, naming the CISSP, CCNP Security, and CEH as the most popular credentials.

Symantec-Norton? IBM? Cisco? Really? And CCNP Security was misspelled? This article lacks credibility in my opinion. I have to wonder if Semper Secure knows what they're doing. I can relate with some of what the article goes into though.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm... drones controlled by machines? Skynet anyone? :)
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That article read like a middle schoolers essay on cyber security jobs. Semper Secure is a Virgina state funded venture that basically drums up interest in having highly skilled IT security people want to go to the government side of things. I imagine they gave out a survey with specific answers to shape their research to what they wanted. Since their isn't a link to the survey or responses we'll just have to assume. As for the writer...wow...people wonder what's wrong with the education system.

As for the NSA article....I can see ditching the contractors but to replace them with automated cloud services.....That is not going to make your systems more defendable and secure. Good luck with that.
  • jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »

As for the NSA article....I can see ditching the contractors but to replace them with automated cloud services.....That is not going to make your systems more defendable and secure. Good luck with that.

The purpose of ditching the sys admins wasnt to make the systems more secure, but to prevent another Edward Snowden from occuring...
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Didn't someone recently post a thread that was somewhat along the lines of the complete opposite? (I did a quick look and can't find it now.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    They are talking about CA and DC area. The 116% salary is like 40$K any where else.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jfitzg wrote: »
    The purpose of ditching the sys admins wasnt to make the systems more secure, but to prevent another Edward Snowden from occuring...

"Not fast enough—but we plan to reduce the number of system administrators by 90 percent to make networks more defensible and secure." - CIA Director John Brennan

Just going by what the Director said. I feel sooo much safer with him at the helm....lol
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    According to that article, I am vastly underpaid. I guess I'll have to bookmark it and bring it up when raise time comes around.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just want a workplace with windows.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Why do I have to look for the original survey?

http://www.nationalcybersecuritycenterva.org/images/pdfs/cyber_security_census_report.pdf

Why do I have to dig to see who they surveyed?

The information in this report is misleading:
    The majority (65%) have worked for two or fewer different organizations during their career

They use this to say that cybersecurity professionals are LOYAL.

Pay attention to this other data point:

One in four cyber pros (26%) have been working in the field for less than five years

And this one:

The chart shows that only 43% have been doing this for a career. Most got into it during grad school (36%) or at other times (21%).

They seemed to survey mostly senior people (80% surveyed were manager or higher), and I believe that skewed their dollar amounts. Also, the majority of the respondents were in California or NOVA.

Totally misleading survey.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    They are talking about CA and DC area. The 116% salary is like 40$K any where else.

80% of the surveyed population was managers.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)