Where are VTP info stored?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I entered the following vtp commands, but I don't see them on running-config and I don't see the file vlan.dat created in flash:. Where is this information stored?

S1(config)#vtp mode server
Device mode already VTP SERVER.
S1(config)#vtp domain Lab5
Changing VTP domain name from NULL to Lab5
S1(config)#vtp password cisco
Setting device VLAN database password to cisco
S1(config)#end

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What model of switch are you using and what command did you use to try and verify the VLAN.dat file in flash? You didn't show them.
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    vlan.dat is stored in nvram, not flash. "sh vtp status" will show your vtp info, but yeah... not the running config.
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    powmia wrote: »
    vlan.dat is stored in nvram, not flash. "sh vtp status" will show your vtp info, but yeah... not the running config.

Not on my switches (2950s and 3550s)..... vlan.dat is in the flash. NVRAM is only for startup-config.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It does depend on the switch. A modular switch, such as a 6500, keeps it in NVRAM and a fixed port switch, such as a 3560 keeps it in flash.
    In 6500 and 4500 series switches, it's nvram. That's probably what he's looking at if he doesn't see it in flash. Most catalyst pizza box switches do store it in flash, though.
    Ha. I actually lol'd. I only have pizza box switches...I'm poor! icon_smile.gif

I start my new job working on real switches in a couple of weeks.
    I have thousands of pizza boxes, but the only time I actually put hands on anymore is typically w/ larger devices, so that's what I'm used to. I have to watch myself and not sound so difinitive!

Good luck w/ the new job... but really, size doesn't matter. A switch is a switch. However, you just might get annoyed enough at the sytax discrepencies, that JUNOS will start sounding enticing ;)
    Yeah, I'm working with the Nexus series too - I've heard they can be a little different syntax wise.

I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    Don't get me started on that NX-OS crap. That's a rant that will get me charged by techexams for taking up disk space :)
  • workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    DCD wrote: »
    What model of switch are you using and what command did you use to try and verify the VLAN.dat file in flash? You didn't show them.

Cisco 2950 and Cisco 3550. I did "dir flash:" and "dir nvram:". I have to say that when I issued the mentioned vtp commands, I didn't create any vlan yet other than the default vlans.

Too bad, that was this morning. Now I don't have the lab setup any longer.
  • workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    powmia wrote: »

I have Cisco 2950 and 3550. I've heard that VTP information is stored with vlan information in vlan.dat.

When I do create vlans, the file vlan.dat is stored in flash:. I've seen it before. When I issued the above vtp commands this morning, I hadn't created any vlan yet other than the switch's default vlans. But that vtp information stayed with the switch anyway. So I'm wondering where is this vtp information stored.
    "sh flash" should show vlan.dat, as soon as you change the VTP domain name.
    I really like NX-OS ever since I started working on it at my job.
    Cisco is now showing customers that they have created a hard-core software testing process to their nexus line... they really wonder why taking an OS that was built for fiber channel switches, then ported over to hardware that can't support native fiber channel, would create so many bugs that they need to do this? You mean that OS? :) (I know the 5548UP is a pretty good device, and that's the exception). The same OS running the "next-gen" platforms that still require you to buy/maintain MDSs in order to perform a DCI... that OS? Or are you talking about the great "modular" software architecture that the nexus line boasts.... because that's the software that Cisco bought when they aquired the maker of the MDS line and didn't want to take the time to make the syntax fall in line with IOS, IOS XE, IOS XR (completely different... and a knock off of JUNOS), or their PIX OS (again completely different). And by the way... the modular, highly available software kernels... is just some marketing crap. Do you really want your OSPF to stay up when your LDP sh** itself... or would you rather the entire device do a kernel **** and failover to a non-limping redundant device? Hey at least I now get to specifically tell the device that I want the kernel module loaded to support an SVI... I wouldn't want the switch to just assume that's what I want when I tell it that's what I want by configuring an SVI. That OS?
    I really have no rebuttal since I am not as advanced in it as you. I have only been in the networking field for about 5 months icon_sad.gif So far I have only done basic configurations in our test environment...vPCs, vDCs etc.
    lol, no rebuttal needed. I just have beef with product managers, that's all. They could be handling the nexus product line much better. Still, I can't argue that the feature sets that do exist for the nexus platforms... are pretty awesome.

Sorry for hijacking the OPs thread.