Options

Do You Consider This A Helpdesk???

Hello my fellow TechExamees!!!

I have a question in regards to my job that I have been dying to get off my chest and get some opinions from everyone...

I work for a support center in the Healthcare system supporting doctor’s offices and hospitals. It’s more like a Helpdesk per say. The issue I have is this…when I first started here I averaged about 30 – 35 calls per day. Now, we have acquired several Business Units across the East Coast and the call volume has gone up to about 50+ calls per day. Are we (meaning my department) still considered an IT/Helpdesk department even though we are taking so many calls? The calls that we get from the other BU we end up dispatching them back to the folks in that region for further investigation (so in other words it’s more like ‘catch and dispatch’).

Your opinions do matter because we have taken on more responsibilities (other then the extra calls) and we have not seen a single dime for our extra headaches and I really want to know what you think.

THANKS!
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever

Comments

• Options
    dsa1971dsa1971 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sort of confused about what you are asking and saying. If you were a Help Desk department when you were taking 30+ calls a day why would you be considered something else when you started taking 50+ calls a day?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I agree. It's still a helpdesk, but now you have a few more responsibilities, and more work to do.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    make a business case with hard numbers that spell out that this needs to be a full fledge dept. 50+ calls a day/support personnel/average time for each fix=??????? over 1 month/ over 12months= projected data
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Per your SLA priority 0 calls will be handled immediately, then priority 1 1-3 hours per contact, and priority 2 calls whenever. You need to ensure that on each priority calls the turn around can be anything from 1-3 days + depending on the situation or it has to be escalated to other levels of support.

It would still be considered a "helpdesk" environment as long as you are supporting via telephone, remote sessions, or call in/call out environment.
    What next?
  • Options
    yang11yang11 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that's the work load...
    of course we don't like heavy workload...

unfortunately, its still help-desk ...