MSP Technical Analyst Interview

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Surprisingly had someone call me back

What kind of questions could I expect for a technical interview?
Technical Support Analyst is the link for the job

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Eeeek, not a big fan of using Craigs List for Jobs....but I digress.

A few common technical questions that I've had in past interviews, (A few are general, some MS specific, some CISCO specific).

1. A user cannot access the internet, but they can print to network printers and access network drives. What could be the cause and how would you fix it?
    2. When a user launches outlook it hangs on loading profile, then crashes. What could be the cause and how would you fix it?
    3. For what purpose would you use the ping and traceroute commands?
    4. What are VLANs, and what are some advantages/disadvantages to using them?
    5. Describe the difference between TCP and UDP.
    6. How would you go about creating a new recipient mailbox in Exchange 2010?

These are just a few of the top of my head that came up during the interviews. My advice, take a notebook into the interview with you, write down the questions/take notes when asked to help jog your memory and/or create a clear thought. Nothing is worse than staring at the interviewer in an akward silence. icon_silent.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I think this one is a little bit more advanced, since their asking for certs for exchange and vmware
    oh man, i am getting nervous now, I applied and I passed the first interview, some questions I couldn't answer, this would be a huge jump in my career, one more interview on site and then another with the client!!!!
    If they asked a bunch of technical questions over the phone, what could be left in person?
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could expect a few more techinical questions in person, maybe related directly to the position.

Also, be prepared for the general interview questions, such as:

What is your greatest weakness?
    What is your greatest strength?
    Do you work well with other people?
    Can you work with limited supervision?
    What do you expect of a manager/supervisor?
    How to you work under pressure?
    Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
    How to you priortize work?

and the infamous....

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJlbAUYE-ls <--Be sure not to answer like this! icon_lol.gif

Congrats on the great phone interview, and I hope the face to face goes well! icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
    ok, thanks! I wasn't really expecting a call back as some of the ad questions i didn't know
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    You could expect a few more techinical questions in person, maybe related directly to the position.

Also, be prepared for the general interview questions, such as:

What is your greatest weakness?
    What is your greatest strength?
    Do you work well with other people?
    Can you work with limited supervision?
    What do you expect of a manager/supervisor?
    How to you work under pressure?
    Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
    How to you priortize work?

and the infamous....

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    Don't say doing your wife... - YouTube <--Be sure not to answer like this! icon_lol.gif

Congrats on the great phone interview, and I hope the face to face goes well! icon_thumright.gif
    thanks! These are the easy ones for me, the technical ones I get nervous!!
    Im so nervous, I have one more interview with the client! Once i pass that one then it is mine!!!

I was able to pass the second interview with the chief operating officer

this was one of those positions i wasn't even expecting to get a call back on
    man what a ***** process, 2 more interviews over the phone. I honestly don't care at this point