Options

CompTIA A+ (N+) necessity or not?

stefan_nstefan_n Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I've just discovered this site and its great to see how much info you can find here.
But i've got a question about CompTIA A+ (and N+), is it really necessary for me to get those basic certificates if i have high school degree for IT and Computing technician?
Does possible employers want to see the certificates or is the high school degree good enough base to be considered as an possible candidate?

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most perspective employers actually require the A+ and Net+. Also, the biggest plus to certifications is that they are standardized, and show that you truly know the material. In contrast, your HS diploma isn't standardized, as each school district teaches different curriculums, has different passing grades etc...

After that being said, it is worth the investment to get certified.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    TechGuy215 wrote: »

After that being said, it is worth the investment to get certified.

Thank you on your oppinion, I couldnt agree more with you about investing in yourself and improving knowledge,it is always a win-win situation, i have asked this one because i am considering to study and try to pass the MTA exam, so im trying to balance out between those two certificates.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Whenever there is an opportunity to gain additional education, one usually benefits. There is a point where it does not matter as much, but while young, do not **** yourself out of a better opportunity.

I see you are from Croatia, how is a high school education viewed there when entering the work force? We have members from all of the world here, several where at least some college study is going to be necessary (college or university for those outside of the us).

Achieving certifications to match ones experience can prove incredibly beneficial, if you have the means, take the exams. However, if you can earn a degree, seek out that route as it will serve you better long term in most markets.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I'd also give my vote for getting them. Often the degree is not enough and employers want to see a cert or two. A/N+ will be great for breaking in and considering they are entry level and that you have some knowledge in the subject, it should't be too hard to get them. In other words - it's worth it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    thank you all for the advices, but i've just went on CompTIA store to look for vouchers and got suprised(not in a good way).
    I see that CompTIA 2009 (for 701 and 702) retires?! so does that mean if i dont get them before it retires I wont be able to obtain them later?
    I'm still new at this so it migh seem as a dumb question.
    Plantwiz wrote: »

I see you are from Croatia, how is a high school education viewed there when entering the work force? We have members from all of the world here, several where at least some college study is going to be necessary (college or university for those outside of the us).
    Well when i was on my trainee obligatied training I could get an assistant job in the company where I worked(note that i was still going to school). Obligation training is some guarantee that you showed your knowledge and skills in practical ways, I had to pass that and get my HS degree. When i got my degree everything went ballistic with our economy, best job you could find was summer job. so now i decided to pay for my own certificates because our college is not very well recognized out of croatia (read : its overexpensive and you get aboslutely nothing), after i get some of the basic certficates im going to look for a job or in Europe or wider :D