Options

How can i get my vmware client to connect to my dhcp server?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
How can i get my vmware client to connect to my dhcp server?

I need to use bridge zone and I want it to be connected to my dhcp server, is this possible using bridged mode?

i set up a dhcp on my windows server 2008r2 however even though my pc is on the domain it didn't get one from the server

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When you go bridged, your clients get their IP addresses from your router (or whatever your host machine connects to for IP addresses). If you want your client to get an IP address from a DHCP server, you can go host-only instead. However this makes your client unreachable from outside (or you cannot get to the outside world, in other words, from the client). There are ways around it, create an RRAS server (on a Windows VM), install ISA/TMG or install a Vyatta router. There are heaps of websites out there with tutorials to make this happen.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I need a separate subnet and nat but i need them to access the outside network since i have an exchange box
  • Options
    so would i setup my main network on nat and then use a windows server with RRAS on a bridged connection?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A bit of google-fu brought this:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/61049-setting-up-rras-vmware-workstation.html
    Windows 2003 RRAs routing setup in VMWare test lab - Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums

You should be able to set this up easily enough. Let us know if there are specific questions.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    is this gonna be true for any vmware? what if i had vmware vsphere? could i use some sort of network card that has 5 ports and use the ports in my vmware for their own bridge network?
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Vsphere is just a program to manage esxi. Esxi is the actual environment. The external ports are used to connect externally, but esxi needs to be connected to at least 1 nic on a network to be managed.

My esxi config uses dhcp and is able to see the interwebs. On the other hand I have never used VMware workstation so I don't know how that works. I haves used the Oracle version and was again able to get my router to assign an ip. All of my network is on the same subnet 10.0.1.0. When I had my ccna lab I had a separate subnet of 10.1.7.0 for VMware. U will need a second router or a static route setup to use a secondary subnet I think. I am sure someone will jump in and tell us both we are wrong lol, but then we learn.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gbdavidx do you have any third party firewall enabled by any chance? Cause I have no problems with DHCP getting through to my VMs in VMware Workstation (from my modem), and can port forward from my modem to VMs using bridged networking fine (I set up FTP on ports 20 & 21 and it's externally available fine).

Just wondering if you've got an anti-virus with firewall which is causing you problems? Have you opened the firewall in the VMs just to check connectivity?