Advice From Virtual Jedi's Please

tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
Kind of looking ahead here. My career goal is virtualiztion engineer or SME. Will be taking the VCP-DCV here in a few months, feel prepared now but waiting for the Stanley voucher since this is out of pocket. Anyways, most of my virtualization interviews have been wanting VDI (view) knowledge and experience which I don't have.

My question.... Once I obtain the DCV, would it be wise to go ahead and get the DT being that is big trend in my area? Will my knowledge of DCV make it easier? or should I pursue VCAP?

Also, being that I have no certs, would you advise towards something else like a ccent or microsoft route? Also, I have been away from college for 3 years and only need 6 classes to get my undergrad from a big university (business degree).

Thought about putting this in the jobs forum but was wanting advice from the virtual jedis or siths.

Comments

• slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Above all else finish your degree, trust me thats by far the best thing you can do for yourself at this point in time. Next I personally would focus on Vcap if your set on the virtualization road, everyone starts their projects with data center / server virtualization VDI generally comes next, so my point is there is likely less demand for VDI.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having done a few View deployments myself, obtaining knowledge and experience in VMware datacenter virtualization technology such as vCenter, ESXi, vSwitches, DVS, etc will definitely help a lot, in fact I would say it's even essential to have a good grasp of Networking, Storage, Compute, etc when dealing with View.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The gap between VCP & VCAP is large. It'll be easier to pursue VCP5-DT vs. VCAP.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dave330i wrote: »
    The gap between VCP & VCAP is large. It'll be easier to pursue VCP5-DT vs. VCAP.

100% agree. I would not recommend even considering VCAP without a solid 12-18 months of real datacenter experience with vSphere, plus some exposure to storage.

VCP-DT would build upon/complement VCP-DV. And that is where I would go next if I were you. That will probably be my next goal as well. If my company doesn't get off its butt and see the value in VDI, I'll take it upon myself to learn it on my own dime.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...