New to home lab setup

gypsymage777gypsymage777 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to set up a home lab and I am not willing to purchase from a "kit" store because of the markup. This puts me at a disadvantage since purchasing network hardware is totally new to me and I want to make sure I get what I want. After some research, I still am confused on certain things. First of all, I am wondering about the IOS. If there is none, or I need to re-install or upgrade, how do I do that? (I'm also thinking about terms/conditions for GNS3 and if I upgrade flash also) What do I do if it is password protected? Also, I am looking to purchase a few 1841 routers. I think I need serial connections to connect them? (sorry, total newbie question...) Does the router come with these by default? Do they use the same WIC cards that the 2600xm series use? I would like 2 serial connections on each 1841. Lastly, is the Digi CM32 basically the same thing as the 2509/11 types of Cisco access servers? Also, any suggestions on a resource with a comprehensive "set up a CCNA home lab for dummies" that would help me out would be much appreciated.

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1) If your looking on ebay it usually will say what IOS if any is on the device. You can then copy that IOS to a tftp server and use it to put it on your other 1841 routers (if they don't already have images that is). Personally I like having all my routers run the same IOS. Look up Cisco Feature Navigator for a comparison of all the different IOS releases.

2) If the device is password protected then you can do a password recovery on it. Look it up its not o difficult.

3) No they do not come with Serial WICs by default. And yes the WIC cards are interchangeable between the 1841 and 2600.

4) Yes the digiCM32 is a cheaper alternative to the 2511. I use a Digi :)

I know all this stuff is overwhelming at first but its all part of the learning process. Last year I was in the same boat as you totally confused about what hardware to get. Trust me in a month you'll wonder why you were ever confused :)
  • gypsymage777gypsymage777 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    1) If your looking on ebay it usually will say what IOS if any is on the device.
    Yes, I'm looking on Ebay alright, and 95% of them do not list the IOS versions. I have a pretty good bit figured out on what to buy, it seems simple enough, but I am so stuck on this IOS thing. I guess if it is lost you have a dead device and have to buy another one? If you are not the original buyer, then you don't get upgrades? I guess best case scenario I can order one router and one switch from a kit dealer (I have been looking at ciscoland.com) but it doesn't seem fair that I would have to spend over $100 just to get a couple of updated IOS's. This reminds me of HP trying to charge for drivers for their laserjets in the late 90's for products that we owned. I put in a bid for an 1841. If I win, I guess I will wait to see what I get LOL. I sure hate to do things that way, but it was cheap enough. I am going to be real sure to have a console cable in hand when it is delivered in case there is a problem.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why don't you email the seller and ask what IOS is running on it?
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First of all, I am wondering about the IOS. If there is none, or I need to re-install or upgrade, how do I do that?

For routers [except ISR, 3700 Series, and possibly a few others], you would install from ROMMON. In ROMMON, there are two options, TFTP and XMODEM. ISRs (1841?, 2801, 2811, 2821, etc...) and some other routers (3745 is the only one I've seen, but there may be others) use a CF Card to store the IOS, which means you can take that out, stick it in a CF Card reader on your computer and just drag and drop IOS onto the Card.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9e.shtml
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

TFTP is the fastest, but requires a TFTP Server. There are plenty of free ones out there you can download and install on a computer on your network. I use the one from Certification Kits.

Free certificationkits CCNA TFTP Server

Cisco also used to make one. This version will work on Windows 2000 and 9x, which the Certification Kits doesn't seem to.

Download Cisco TFTP Server 1.1 for Windows - OldVersion.com

You would connect the router's Ethernet or FastEthernet port to your network and then.

ROMMON 1>IP_ADDRESS={ IP ADDRESS ON YOUR NETWORK }
    ROMMON 2>IP_SUBNET_MASK={ SUBNET MASK }
    ROMMON 3>DEFAULT_GATEWAY={ DEFAULT GATEWAY }
    ROMMON 4>TFTP_SERVER={ IP ADDRESS OF COMPUTER THAT IS RUNNING TFTP SERVER}
    ROMMON 5>TFTP_FILE={ FILENAME OF IOS IMAGE }
    ROMMON 6>tftpdnld

Xmodem transfers the IOS over the Console cable and is VERY slow since a console cable is basically running at Dial-Up speed. But, it does not require a TFTP Server. Only snag is that PuTTY doesn't seem to support Xmodem. So, you will need to use HyperTerminal or another Console Program that does. This is BTW, the only option on a switch [as they don't support TFTP except in IOS]. The commands are also slightly different on a switch.
    What do I do if it is password protected?

1) Turn router off
    2) Turn router back on holding BREAK or CTRL+BREAK (try the second if the first doesn't work)
    3) This should boot you into ROMMON

ROMMON 1>confreg 0x2142
    ROMMON 2>reset

At this point, you can simply erase the existing configuration using "wr erase" or you can back it up using TFTP and then erase it. I prefer to keep the configurations to look at later, but you don't have to. One you erase the config:

R1(config)#config-register 0x2102
    R1(config)#end
    R1#reload
    Also, I am looking to purchase a few 1841 routers. I think I need serial connections to connect them? (sorry, total newbie question...) Does the router come with these by default?

For certain labs like Frame Relay and Leased Lines, you will need Serial WICs. Personally, I prefer the WIC-1DSU-T1 and WIC-1DSU-T1 V2. The latter is supported on ISRs like the 1841. The former isn't. You can also use the classic WIC-1T or WIC-2T, but these are more expensive ($15-20/card + $8/cable) vs. ($6-10/card + $4/cable or even make your own cables). T1 WICs/HWICs are what you will see in the real world, whereas Serial WICs/HWICs are what you will see on the CCNA.

T1s don't use the "clock rate" command, but instead use two commands "clock source {line | internal}" to indicate whether one end is a DCE or DTE and "service-module t1 timeslots 1-24" to indicate the desire speed for the link (each timeslot is 64 Kbps, so using all 24 = a Full T1 or 1.544 Mbps). One WIC-1T to WIC-1T link [or even Packet Tracer] is more than sufficient to play around with the clock rate command. All you really need to know is that it has to be set on the DCE side.

Some routers will come with 1 or the other (T1 or Serial) installed and some will come with nothing installed. Just make sure to check before buying.
    Do they use the same WIC cards that the 2600xm series use?

Yes and No. Some WICs are not compatible with newer ISR routers [and ISR G2 Routers such as the 1911 and 2911 will not run any WICs I believe - only HWICs]. The Classic WIC-1T or WIC-2T will work on both older 2600 Routers and ISRs as will the V2 Version of most WICs that have a second version, such as the WIC-1DSU-T1 V2. HWIC Versions (HWIC-1T or HWIC-1T1/E1) should also work on ISRs, but not 2600 series, but are still VERY expensive.
    Lastly, is the Digi CM32 basically the same thing as the 2509/11 types of Cisco access servers?

My understanding is the Digi CM32 uses regular straight-through cable to connect the console ports, so that you don't need an Octal Cable like the 2509 or special Cables/Adapters like with Cyclades. They are a much better deal than Cisco 2509/2511. I plan to buy one for my lab if I can find one a bit cheaper than the $70-80 with shipping they are going for on eBay. Unfortunately, they all seem to come from California (I sort by distance on eBay and the nearest one is 2000 miles away), so no chance of saving on shipping by doing local pickup.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Thanks! That is very good information! I still feel like a beginner, but I'm kind of proud of myself for actually understanding this much. Not many months ago, I would probably would have still been going huh?! Apparently the particular ISR router, the 1841, I have my eyes on is super simple as long as I have the .bin file I need if I am grasping this right (since OP I found the resources for those). I was thinking of throwing in a 2621xm for the heck of it. It doesn't hurt to become familiar with different products. I can use it for the frame relay labs at least. My initial setup will be 3 1841's upgrading to 64/256 when needed (the cards are so cheap an so many 1841's are on ebay I just don't have time to email every seller to ask what it has), and starting dirt cheap on the switches for now with 3 2950c's. I can get those for a decent price locally I found out with a 1 year warranty. I could pay half I suppose without the warranty, but $25-$30 extra and a local dealer with warranty, I just can't pass that up. I will probably add a 2621xm shortly after, then start looking for a steal of a deal on a couple of 3550's and maybe a 3560 if I can find one cheap enough. The 3 1841's, 3 2950c's, rack and mounts, cabling, and lab book from certificationkits.com estimated cost is under $450. I suppose I need to factor in a few WIC cards and flash/DRAM upgrades but they seem to be fairly inexpensive (and most likely will not need to do for all 3). That is MUCH better than the $900-$1200 price tags I have been seeing with kit dealers, plus all the equipment I am getting comes with a 1 year warranty that most kit dealers do not include and only 1 so far (above mentioned dealer) offers it at an extra cost. Of course I will add the 2621xm sometime later and a couple of 3550's. I have time to spare before I will need them so I can search for a "steal of a deal" with no deadline pressure.
    Oh, also, if I read it right, T1 WIC will do me just fine instead of going legacy (CCNA version) serial connection. The only difference is how clock rate is set, which I don't really see as an obstacle. Most 1841's I am seeing on ebay has the v2 included. Knowing that saves me $ and time. I think I owe ya a drink lol.