Working Abroad

DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
Does anyone here have experience working abroad in IT? If so, how did you get into that position? What type of education and experience do you need? This is definitely something I am interested in.

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Interesting question. I've been thinking about it too because after about 5 years, that's what I'm going to do. I assume it's harder to get hired over someone native. It's just more work. I think that if you have the same education/certs/experience as someone from that country, you are very unlikely to get hired. Not that it can't happen, it's just that people who are on the same level as you will probably have an edge.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm Canadian and have worked in Aus,Nz, ME,UK, USA for min 6mths
    It's specific to the country you're looking to move to. So if you're looking at a specific country I've worked in I can give you tips.

Most commonwealth is relatively the same as long as your english is good there aern't a whole lot of barriers once you land. If your education is good enough to get you hired in the U.S. (i'm assuming that's where you're from) it will be good enough in pretty much any country.
  • RenewedRenewed Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can also try to see if you can work for an American company that often has assignments overseas. One of my relatives does that and they get temporary assignments overseas. They're not there for long but it does let them explore the area for a bit without making the transition to actually living there.

They have no degree or certifications either.
  • DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Does it matter if your education is from a traditional or online university? My concern is whether or not other countries recognize these types of degrees.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does it matter if your education is from a traditional or online university? My concern is whether or not other countries recognize these types of degrees.
    I guess you won't have any problems as long as your degree is from an accredited university.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have thought about trying to get an IT job abroad since that is where all the IT jobs are going. If I worked abroad though I think I would be much more interested in teaching English in Japan though. I would love to live in a foreign country for a while and give up the American lifestyle. Life is getting too routine for me here, working abroad would be a great way to make a change in my life and get away from America for a while. My ex wanted to move to Egypt for the longest time. She said she had work all lined up for me over in Egypt and we could live with a friend of hers. I am glad I decided to stay here for obvious reasons. She had lived in Jordan for a while and had converted to Muslim because she married a Muslim man over there, later they moved back to the states. I wouldn't mind living there too, but I don't think anywhere in the middle east is a good idea these days. Sometimes I daydream about becoming a monk and living a very simple life or becoming Amish. I really admire the Amish a lot, sometimes I wish I grew up in that lifestyle. I also sometimes wish I was a menonite or a Jehovah witnesses. Then I would have to give up all my interests in Buddism, spiritualism, magical groups, voodoo, Jewish mysticism, Hinduism, etc. I keep saying to myself when I grow old I am going to give up all that, move overseas and become a monk. As a kid I often daydreamed about becoming either a catholic priest or a monk and I wasn't even catholic... what a weird kid I was.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula