Options

Methods for remembering details

Bearded SteveBearded Steve Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a pretty bizarre method of rememering details. It works though and if you try it, i guarantee it will work for you.

For example.

Spanning tree port states. I always had problems remembering which one populates the mac table and which does not.

Imagine a guy standing at a conveyor belt with an old fashioned "megaphone" hearing aid sticking out of his ear. In front of him is a MAC address table with a big X in front of it. He is "listening" for BPDU's and not filling in the MAC table.

For the learning state he is reading a book (learning) and there is no cross in front of the table, so he can fill it in.

I do this for lots of those "hard to remember" details

Another is the LAPD ISDN protocol.

Imagine a guy sitting in the street with a dog on his lap (LAPDog) He is uising and old morse code machine (signaling) On the road a marching band is walking past.

This helps me to remember that LAPD provides out of band signaling for ISDN

The key is to associate the relevant aspects of the thing you're trying to remember with pictures and situations, the more bizzare the easier it is to remember.
Data, Segments, Packets, Frames, Bits

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    [quote="

Imagine a guy standing at a conveyor belt with an old fashioned "megaphone" hearing aid sticking out of his ear. In front of him is a MAC address table with a big X in front of it. He is "listening" for BPDU's and not filling in the MAC table.

For the learning state he is reading a book (learning) and there is no cross in front of the table, so he can fill it in.

[/quote]

I dont get it, when he's reading the book is he not too busy to fill in the table?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Bearded SteveBearded Steve Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont get it, when he's reading the book is he not too busy to fill in the table?

It's not really about that. It's about using imagery to associate the hard to remember parts with easy to remember situations.

it's actually a well known technique. This article explains the technique
    Data, Segments, Packets, Frames, Bits
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    icon_eek.gif
    Imagine a guy sitting in the street with a dog on his lap (LAPDog) He is uising and old morse code machine (signaling) On the road a marching band is walking past.

Man, if you apply that method for all your Cisco studies, you will probably be a total lunatic by the time you are done, I know I would be :p

Seriously though, if that helps you remember the details, right on. Thanks for sharing :D
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p